Water hammer at end of softener cycle

Users who are viewing this thread

Tygerant

Reaction score
Hi we have a Fleck 5600 its a couple of years old, it seemed to work ok but when it was 6-8 months it started to get water hammer towards end of cycle. The hammer got progressively worse so after reading some I tightened up metal nut on valve line that goes to brine tank then both line nuts that are on the float they were not tight as they should have been that seemed to help but not completely so I tighten them up a little more trying to be careful not to over tighten. Now it worse and it lasts maybe 15 minutes and turning on a faucet won't stop it as it would when this began. I have looked to see if anything is cracked but it all looks ok. I have put this into bypass no water hammer Help ! Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
1. What is your water pressure?
2. When you say " end of cycle", what do you mean?

I am surprised that any 5600* would cause water hammer, since the piston moves fairly slowly. Water hammer is a single bang when you are running water, and stop the flow quickly. Could the sound you hear be something other than a single bang?

Tygerant

Reaction score
5600 or 5600SXT?

Can you post a picture of the brine tank and the valve inside?
1. What is your water pressure?
2. When you say " end of cycle", what do you mean?

I am surprised that any 5600* would cause water hammer, since the piston moves fairly slowly. Water hammer is a single bang when you are running water, and stop the flow quickly. Could the sound you hear be something other than a single bang?
My photos are too large , will work on that. You are correct it is repeated banging lasting 15 minutes it happens as the water is draining.

Tygerant

Reaction score
My photos are too large , will work on that. You are correct it is repeated banging lasting 15 minutes it happens as the water is draining.
We have a pressure regulator seems like pressures
about 55-65 lbs not very high.

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi we have a Fleck 5600 its a couple of years old, it seemed to work ok but when it was 6-8 months it started to get water hammer towards end of cycle. The hammer got progressively worse so after reading some I tightened up metal nut on valve line that goes to brine tank then both line nuts that are on the float they were not tight as they should have been that seemed to help but not completely so I tighten them up a little more trying to be careful not to over tighten. Now it worse and it lasts maybe 15 minutes and turning on a faucet won't stop it as it would when this began. I have looked to see if anything is cracked but it all looks ok. I have put this into bypass no water hammer Help ! Thanks
it's your pressure switch or PS nipple, regulator or pressure tank likely causing the issue, which only manifests itself when using the softener (for whatever reason).

Tygerant

Reaction score
it's your pressure switch or PS nipple, regulator or pressure tank likely causing the issue, which only manifests itself when using the softener (for whatever reason).
Are those parts replaceable? I tried looking them up but not sure what they are.

Reach4

Reaction score
Are those parts replaceable? I tried looking them up but not sure what they are.
Those are not part of the softener. If you have city water, you don't have them. With city water, you could have a PRV, which could act up.

Do you never get a similar sound when you turn the tub spigot on full blast?

Tygerant

Reaction score
Those are not part of the softener. If you have city water, you don't have them. With city water, you could have a PRV, which could act up.

Do you never get a similar sound when you turn the tub spigot on full blast?
It's only with the water softener at the end of regen when water is going to the drain. Its never happened other than that, so I put it in bypass until I can work out the issue. Many years ago we did have high water pressure so I installed pressure regulator valve but since the area has grown we has less pressure now. the pounding is pretty extreme

Reach4

Reaction score
Look at a pressure gauge during the pounding. A 0-100 psi gauge is better than 0-200, if you can find one. Monitor the pressure after the PRV, of course.

A garden-hose-thread pressure gauge will cost under $20.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Post a picture of the brine tank and the brine tank float. This is a common area for air to get into the system. Water hammer and other problems can occur as the air is expelled, the 5600 has a double backwash so the air is expelled during the second backwash cycle. Maybe you can post a video of the problem. Also, installing a pressure regulator has little meaning if you are not monitoring its performance. You need to have a pressure gauge to determine its performance. I would recommend installing a pressure gauge that shows you the highest pressure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks