Waste Pipe Repair

Users who are viewing this thread

goknights

Reaction score
I am an amateur diy'er who has never worked with PVC before. My project is to lay floor tile in my bathroom. I removed the linoleum and am down to the sub-floor. I saw that the toilet flange was screwed directly into the sub-floor, and my research told me that it should be placed on top of the finished floor so I set out to remove the existing flange with a chisel so I could glue in a new one after I laid the tile.

Long story short, I severely damaged the waste pipe and only partially removed the flange (I stopped when I saw how much I had cracked it).

I'd appreciate some advice on what my next step is. Is the waste pipe in any way repairable or do I have to cut the whole thing out and replace it all. If I have to replace it all, where do I cut exactly and how would I go about putting in a replacement piece?

I have included a shot of the waste pipe coming out of the floor and a reverse angle so you can see just how much I damaged it. I also included a shot of what lays beyond the opening. I'm guessing that smaller pipe joining in from the left is from my shower drain.

Thank you in advance for your help.

sIMG_20151114_175314.jpg
sIMG_20151114_175314.jpg
sIMG_20151114_175432.jpg

Attachments

• sIMG_20151114_175336.jpg
    sIMG_20151114_175336.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 73

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The flange does not have to be on top of the tile in most places. In the Seattle area, it almost never is.
We use two wax rings in those cases, which has worked fine for decades. It's too bad you went to so much trouble when you have something that was already working.

They do make bits that drill the pipe out of a fitting. That may be your best option now.

reed-pipe-reamer-2.jpg

These are two styles that work.

goknights

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, I'll have to pick up one of those bits. As far as the damage I have already done goes, do I have to cut that whole piece out or can it be salvaged somehow?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I see the problem correctly, you have damaged the pipe below the flange. If that is correct, you need to cut the below the damage, then put a coupling with a new length of PVC. After you have the flooring laid, you can trim the PVC so the new flange will rest on top of the finished floor. You can't just patch the broken pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks