Users who are viewing this thread

davearonson

Knows Just Enough about Plumbing to be Dangerous
Reaction score
Website
www.davearonson.com
Our washing machine has a hose that comes out the bottom back, goes over to the sink, drapes into the sink, and is then long enough that the filter on the end (like a mesh sock) is laying down in the sink and getting moldy. We're thinking of cutting it short so that the filter dangles like it did in the previous location, and drains rather than getting moldy.

I figure this is probably harmless... but I've seen some systems "tuned" in non-obvious ways, so wanted to make sure from The Experts here that this wasn't a Bad Idea.

Alternately, since the hose is rather stiff and could be difficult to cut, would it be a Bad Idea to just make some loops or squiggles in it instead, to take up the slack en route to the sink?

(If it matters, it's a Samsung front-loader, located right next to the sink, with the hose coming out the far side of the lower back.)

davearonson

Knows Just Enough about Plumbing to be Dangerous
Reaction score
Website
www.davearonson.com
Update: never mind about the length. It turns out that the installation instructions (now that I've found where we stashed away the manual!) say to zip-tie it to the sink leg, presumably to keep it from flopping around and popping out of the sink. However, there's not enough slack to do that, since it goes through a clamp on the upper far side of the back. :-(

So now the question is, is there any reason not to undo that clamp? It's screwed into the machine, which makes me think it might be rather important.

(Meanwhile, I've got it bungee-corded to the top of the sink leg, about nine inches away from it, with just enough hose after the U-bend guide to clamp a filter onto it.)

Reach4

Reaction score
You went from considering cutting the hose shorter to undoing a clamp to let you have more length? I would not worry about tying to the sink leg.

I would figure a way to secure it at the right height without removing the clamp. There are extensions, but you don't need one of those.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks