Utility Tub and Washing Machine Drain size requirement of 3"?? IPC 406.3

Users who are viewing this thread

Phillip Smith

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the advice on my other posts. I did pay a professional plumber to come out today and give me an overview of my work. He pointed out a couple of things that I was looking for validation on and that is fine, but he told me that there is a new code that requires Washing Machine drains to drain into a 3" pipe? I am located in Henry County Georgia.

How is that when the washing machine box has a 2" connection? I am also draining a utility sink into the same pipe so may that be the reason he told me I had to come up through the floor with a 3" pipe and then use a 3"x2"x2" sanitary t for the washer and then stack another 2" sanitary t on that for the utility tub and then up the wall with the vent off the top sanitary t?

I have attached a picture I found that is exactly what he is telling me to do and I added the comment about the 3" Drain??

Why would I need a 3" drain pipe for this setup?

Thanks much

phillip

laundry-tray-moen.jpg

Attachments

• LaundryRoomRev1.jpg
    LaundryRoomRev1.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 27,357
Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You are under the IPC code, and I believe that the section below the santee needs to be 3".
If it were UPC code, you could get by with 2".

the automatic clothes washer fixture drain shall connect to a branch drain or drainage stack a min. of 3" in diameter.

You're still using a 2" p-trap and standpipe for the washer.

406.3 Waste connection. The waste from an automatic clothes washer shall discharge through an air break into a standpipe in accordance with Section 802.4 or into a laundry sink. The trap and fixture drain for an automatic clothes washer standpipe shall be a minimum of 2 inches (51 mm) in diameter. The automatic clothes washer fixture drain shall connect to a branch drain or drainage stack a minimum of 3 inches (76 mm) in diameter. Automatic clothes washers that discharge by gravity shall be permitted to drain to a waste receptor or an approved trench drain.

Last edited:

Phillip Smith

Reaction score
You are under the IPC code, and I believe that the section below the santee needs to be 3".
If it were UPC code, you could get by with 2".

the automatic clothes washer fixture drain shall connect to a branch drain or drainage stack a min. of 3" in diameter.

You're still using a 2" p-trap and standpipe for the washer.

406.3 Waste connection. The waste from an automatic clothes washer shall discharge through an air break into a standpipe in accordance with Section 802.4 or into a laundry sink. The trap and fixture drain for an automatic clothes washer standpipe shall be a minimum of 2 inches (51 mm) in diameter. The automatic clothes washer fixture drain shall connect to a branch drain or drainage stack a minimum of 3 inches (76 mm) in diameter. Automatic clothes washers that discharge by gravity shall be permitted to drain to a waste receptor or an approved trench drain.

Well ok then! Thanks to you again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks