Using vent stack as sewage drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Michal kr

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I’m building an extension at the back of my house, where I want to add a toilet. There is no sewage pipe there, however there’s a 4 inch PVC vent stack, going from the building drain directly to the roof, with nothing else connected to it. Is it possible to plug into the vent and use it for toilet sewage?

9020AA3F-7F4C-46EE-8FC9-EF541C6B9296.jpeg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
odd to have a vent like that its might be a a roof drain?. looks like your in a different country where things could be very different than the USA.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally once a vent, always a vent. Dropping waste from a story above can siphon traps in floors below. And there is no telling how the fittings were put together below the concrete. I would hesitate to plan for a working bathroom there when it may not work afterwards.

The best bet is to connect where the lower floor waste lines are, and not to use a dry vent for waste above.

dwv_b2.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
is this in Singapore? I agree with Terry, however It doesn't look like a vent to me I never run a vent like that

Michal kr

Reaction score
You guys were right, I checked my roof and this is a water drain. Curiously there is an airvent nearby that is also ran outside and looks identical. However, it’s a lot harder to access, so instead I will opt for a saniflo toilet and pump the waste to second floor, then connect it to the same drain as the toilet bowl.

Last edited:

Michal kr

Reaction score
Running into a other issue, not sure if I should start a new thread or ask here? So, I’ll be pumping the slurry from the saniflo macerator up and back into my bathroom or kitchen. Unfortunately the main drain under toilet is not exposed, the plumber suggest raising the toilet which I’d definitely prefer to avoid. The only solution I see is to drain into the bathtub drain. Wouldn't work? Is there a P trap buried in the cement? And how could I check if there is one? Thanks in advance!

367E297E-DD7C-4B85-A1AF-9F5EA6223355.jpeg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
anything will work. poop runs downhill . unless you pump it, if pumped it can go anywhere you want. But my opinion is do it right! gravity drain if possible!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks