Tying into 3” stack

Users who are viewing this thread

jahvette20

Reaction score
Hello,
I just joined to ask this question and appreciate the feedback. I’m in the process of remodeling a 3rd floor apartment and would like to move the bathroom. There is a 3” cast stack that goes from the horizontal 4” main in the basement (y combo connection) all the way through the roof. There is only 1 double 45 off set at the top of the foundation and the rest is vertical other than it runs horizontal in the attic for a bit. The only thing it drains now is a second floor bath (toilet/tub/sink). The toilet basically drops directly into the stack (maybe 2’ horizontal), the tub is about 3’ run, and the sink about 6’. There is no other venting for these fixtures. I don’t know what the tie in fitting to the stack is because it is not expose. It would be a lot more work and inconvenience to the second floor tenant if I need to tear up her bathroom to ad venting. If it were a 4” stack I don’t think I’d even be questioning it, but tell me if I’m asking for trouble just cutting in a sani T and adding my bath. The new bath would have toilet 18” to stack, tub 6’, sink 4’. I could always vent these if needed. Honestly, I don’t care as much about local code as I do about creating future problems.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
When the stack is venting lower floors, then you cannot by code put a tee on a higher floor to add plumbing because the lower floor venting is affected.
The code is designed to protect public health/safety. The slug of water traveling down the stack can create problems.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
As long as the connection is below the connection of the other bathroom only the new bathroom will need venting or aav the existing bath room would be fine

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks