Uncloggable Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Kyd

Reaction score
Hello,
My husband has Alzheimer's and we suddenly have problems with clogged toilets. He has large, hard stools and I'm tired of finding ways to unclog the toilet. We are in Canada and it seems that Caroma toilets are the best way to go.Is it best to have the toilet be a glazed model? Also, it seems most
of the Caroma toilets are low water 1.28 and I thought we needed toilet that uses with more water in the flush.
We are in Canada so these toilets are hard to find buy I found a website we I can purchase locally Caroma toilet.Any advice on which model to buy of Caroma.I'm close to 80 years old and too old to be dealing with clogged toilets so we want to buy the best one that isn't too expensive.I'm not spending 1000 dollars for a toilet.Any advise on which of the toilets in the below link is best for large, hard stools?
https://yorktaps.ca/toilets/caroma-...MI9-f-oNDr8wIVvGxvBB02LQ5aEAMYAiAAEgKHzfD_BwE

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Caroma toilets have the largest diameter trapways in the industry, at least of those I've seen, at 3". Most are closer to 2" or so. The other thing is how smooth that pathway is, and how sharp the bends they try to execute. Toto works for most people, because they gave a smooth curve for their trapway, but if you are trying to push a hard log around any curve, you need a larger diameter. If a Caroma doesn't work for you, you'll probably not find a toilet that will.

Pick one with the height and style you can live with. A one-piece is easier to clean on the outside, but the bowls are all about the same on the inside.

Reactions: Kyd

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Caroma toilets have the largest diameter trapways in the industry, at least of those I've seen, at 3". Most are closer to 2" or so. The other thing is how smooth that pathway is, and how sharp the bends they try to execute. Toto works for most people, because they gave a smooth curve for their trapway, but if you are trying to push a hard log around any curve, you need a larger diameter. If a Caroma doesn't work for you, you'll probably not find a toilet that will.

Pick one with the height and style you can live with. A one-piece is easier to clean on the outside, but the bowls are all about the same on the inside.

Several of my accounts are nursing homes and I told the powers that be they have choices

1- Spend thousands installing new toilets that may not work

Choice 2

I suggested the nursing homes buy over the counter Florastor or other Probiotic supplement and try that first before spending thousands of dollars

If you feel like giving a TIP consider Saint Jude's hospital or the Schreiners or Terrys tip jar as it cost him money to maintain this site

Reach4

Reaction score
Caroma are probably going to be what you want to handle worst case, but there is a really good probability that one of the newer modern toilets with the smooth trapway would have also avoided this clogging. The new ones generally flush better despite using less water than the 3.5 gpf (gallons per flush) and 5 gpf toilets.

Worst of all were the 1.6 gpf toilets between 1992 and some time in the 21st century that I don't know.

Kyd

Reaction score
I've given him Probiotics of a month now and still the situation persists.We do have the old 1.6 in the basement but newer one's in other bathrooms.He plugs all of them so he must have developed a problem that even a diet of plenty of fibre and probiotics can't solve. My goal is to get the a model with 4" trapway if they still make it as I'm at my wits end and too old to be dealing with this crap literally.So if anyhow knows the Caroma model with 4' trapway that is glazed or smooth the please let me know.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I've given him Probiotics of a month now and still the situation persists.We do have the old 1.6 in the basement but newer one's in other bathrooms.He plugs all of them so he must have developed a problem that even a diet of plenty of fibre and probiotics can't solve. My goal is to get the a model with 4" trapway if they still make it as I'm at my wits end and too old to be dealing with this crap literally.So if anyhow knows the Caroma model with 4' trapway that is glazed or smooth the please let me know.

Read the bottle as sometimes you can increase the dosage to 2 A DAY one morning one evening

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most drains are 3"
When I have installed a Caroma with the 4" trap, 95% I'm dropping into a 3" drain.
I have sold many of the Caroma bowls with the 3" trapway and the results have been good. Just pick one you can afford, and it will be good.
A 3" trapway is 2.5 times the area of a 2" trapway.

Kyd

Reaction score
Sorry if I sound silly but I really don't know much about these things.Would getting one with the 4"trap that drops into smaller drain become problematic? I wouldn't be setting myself up for drain problems or replacements if this was done?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sorry if I sound silly but I really don't know much about these things.Would getting one with the 4"trap that drops into smaller drain become problematic? I wouldn't be setting myself up for drain problems or replacements if this was done?

I've installed both, the 3" and the 4". Either one works. I just don't see any advantage to the 4" over the 3".

caroma-989900-02.jpg

caroma-989900-01.jpg

caroma_305_horn.jpg

3" trapway on the Sydney Smart

sydney_305_el_1.jpg

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The problem is usually IN the toilet, often at the final bend to get it to go down into the drain line. If it will make it through the 3" trapway in a Caroma, it should make it through any properly installed drain, whether it is 3 or 4". WHenever you try to push waste into a smaller pipe, you can have problems. Most homes end up with a 3" drain at the toilet that may expand later to a 4", but you could have a 4" one right there.

Some toilet designs try to make the waste turn a sharp 90-degree turn at their outlet, and sometimes earlier in the path...a large, hard, log doesn't like to bend much, so a straighter, larger diameter path is needed. SOme toilets are much better about making their paths smoother with gradual turns than others, but larger diameter can help, too.

Look at the pathway of this Kohler toilet...tries to make a sharp 90-degree turn at the outlet. K-3999 (kohler.com) versus this Toto toilet SS-00239_CST454CEF_G.pdf (totousa.com) where the turns are smoother and it directs the waste down the drain rather than trying to make it turn a sharp 90-degree turn. The Caroma spec sheets don't give you a good view of their trapway design.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

Kyd

Reaction score
We bought the Caroma Sydney Smart 2 but our plumber doesn't think it would work and we should return.Are these toilets hard to install?Do we need someone that specializes in installing Caroma toilets?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
They're a little different than a more conventional toilet, but if you can read and follow instructions, it's easy. Some don't want to learn new things, or follow instructions

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We bought the Caroma Sydney Smart 2 but our plumber doesn't think it would work and we should return.Are these toilets hard to install?Do we need someone that specializes in installing Caroma toilets?

OMG,
It's just a standard toilet. If your plumber doesn't know how to install a standard toilet, have him give me a call on Monday and I can explain it to him.
206-949-5683
Terry Love

Kyd

Reaction score
OMG,
It's just a standard toilet. If you plumber doesn't know how to install a standard toilet, have him give me a call on Monday and I can explain it to him.
206-949-5683
Terry Love
Thank you so much for your help Terry. I found someone to install the toilet locally.So far we have had no problems.I'm over the moon with gratitude.Words can't express how grateful I am for you help and patience with all my questions.I can finally relax in my home again :) Thanks again to everyone on this forum. Have a great weekend

FedUp3

Reaction score
Does any of the Caroma toilets have models that have more water in the bowl? Or are they all water saving with low water levels that are visible in the toilet bowl?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks