Caroma CARAVELLE 989900W

Users who are viewing this thread

Michael_Wpg

Reaction score
Please note that I purchased 2 of these Caroma units in the last 6 weeks to try and reduce clogging from large BMs.

I have noticed a big difference in performance between them. One unit is installed upstairs in a 2 story home and works fine and rarely clogs. The second unit is installed in the basement and clogs more often, unclogging is very difficult due to the design. Once clear, it seems to flush fine with a noticeable gulp at the end like a typical toilet sound, the unit upstairs does not have the gulp but never clogs.

The home was built in 1993 (Canada), standard ABS/PVC plumbing and venting, same plumber installed both, followed the instructions... standard wax ring (no cone), adapter, screws and silicone.

Is there any value in pulling, snaking the waste pipe and reinstalling the Caroma in the basement, or is the reduced effectiveness just due to less gravity?

Thank you.

caroma-989900-02.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm inclined to think that the upstairs toilet is dropping down a story before it hits the basement horizontal.
It may be there the lower floor needs snaking. A closet auger though will clear what is in the trapway though.

auger_01.jpg

auger_02.jpg

Michael_Wpg

Reaction score
The basement toilet is clear now and flushing is fine, took me 2 hours of on/off, eventually squeezed a plunger head through the narrow trap to get a decent seal. I had tried a 3 ft Ridgid toilet auger, first time use and it would only go 1.5 feet or so, did not want to force it and break something.

I ordered a bendable corrugated plunger for future use.

Would there still be value in pulling the basement toilet and having a plumber snake the basement waste line? It works but seems to clog easier than the Caroma on 2nd floor.

Thank you.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I find that the rubber plungers work fine with the ends pulled out. They sell them with the small part tucked in.

korky_plunger.jpg

The trapway should work fine for the auger, however I don't know what fittings the previous plumber has for the drain.

caroma-989900-spec.jpg

Michael_Wpg

Reaction score
After 2 years I replaced the Caroma with a Kohler Wellworth pressure assist that works way better in a basement with minimal gravity. I would never auger a Caroma toilet either due to the permeability of the adapter used for installation, evidence to prove that on the uninstall. The Caroma is fine on a higher level with normal amount of gravity and clogs less than a standard toilet but was absolute trash in a basement setting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks