replacing a hose took a turn towards the surreal

Users who are viewing this thread

deathtokoalas

Reaction score
these are going to be very elementary questions, but i've run into a number of confusing realities when trying to complete the simple task of replacing a pull out sprayer hose because it developed a puncture in it.

i live in the basement of a house owned by somebody else, to whom i pay rent. if this had happened two months ago, i would have sent the guy upstairs a txt and he would have dealt with it, as the landlord and owner of the property. however, the place was recently purchased by a female couple from out of town that do not live here (the upstairs is now rented out) and i'm trying to be low-key for a while until the situation settles down. they would almost certainly hire a plumber and make a note that i'm a pain in the ass.

"it's just a hose", i thought to myself; it should cost $10 and take five minutes to fix. easy. right?

i think the root cause of the problems i've run into is that the apartment was built by somebody from a different continent (we're not sure if they were from europe or south america) in the 80s or 90s and they imported weird things that lasted forever and are still here but are now impossible to service from south detroit, canada. the toilet is south american and cannot be fixed without replacing it; the dryer was an italian model from the 80s that we couldn't find a cheap part for, anywhere, and had to entirely replace. we had to replace entire fan enclosures for the same reason. everything seemed to be high quality, until it all broke all at once 30 years later and it was realized none of it could be fixed. that might have been a factor in the guy selling the house.

the first confusing reality i noticed is that the hose that runs from the cartridge/mixer in the faucet itself to under the sink (and which is hard-connected to the faucet) has a female end, meaning that the hose i need to buy must have a male end. this again seems to be a european part; i'd have to buy a $100 hose from germany to get the male connection. every single hose at amazon, google, home hardware, etc has a female connector.

this left me with only one affordable option, other than replacing the whole assembly (which will require calling the out of town landlords, who will call a plumber):

i thought that would be easy enough.

beyond noting that the new hose is too wide to fit into the enclosure, which is my own oversight, i simply cannot get the adapters to connect snugly. remember that i can't just buy a new hose because one doesn't exist; if i can't get the adapters to work, i'll need to replace the whole thing, which seems utterly wasteful and is going to potentially land on me a lipstick kill list.

it's hard to tell if it is leaking in multiple places or not, but it is certain that it is leaking where the threads of the male adapter screw into the female hose. the water then runs down the rest of the hose.

this is a picture of the top part of the original connector, with the two male adapters that might work and are in the kit:

IMG_0074.JPG

as can be clearly seen, the thread in the adapters in the set are twice as long as the threads in the hose that had the puncture in it. the broken hose fit into the female connection smoothly; the adapters do not, they leave half of their threads sitting out.

i do not have teflon tape, but i tried it with cheap electrical tape and it didn't make any difference.

do plumbers consider a situation like that resolvable via some trick, or should i try to find adapters that have the same amount of thread as the broken hose?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks