Two Year Old Ruud Pipe Coupling Disconnected

Users who are viewing this thread

cdogstu99

Reaction score
So I had a new 50 gallon ruud installed about two years ago.

Wife came home to find water spraying all over the basement, flooding it about an inch or so. The top coupling from the Ruud unit had separated from the water pipe. (Not sure if I’m using correct terminology. But bare with me)

Called the plumber who installed it and he charged me $150 to fix the pipe. Took him a while to light the pilot but eventually he did. This was yesterday.

This morning hot water worked fine. Tonight-no hot water. I checked and the pilot is lit. Called plumber and he told me to wait until morning and that it probably was just water logged and needed to reset(?)

Thing is while this guy has done a lot of work for me I don’t really trust him all that much. Is what he is telling me true? Should I have any concerns about the unit itself from all the water spraying everywhere? The heater is up on blocks but I just wonder is there was damage done. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Or call another plumber who knows how to service water heaters !
you can find one by calling Ruud/Rheem service at 800-432-8373 they will tell who is your area that services their
water heaters and are Professional Plumbers

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If, in the process, the gas valve got wet, most all of them that I'm aware of, call for it to be replaced.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
When you said "The heater is up on block" I hope it is cement blocks not cylinder

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks