Tub Drain Solution?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I could use your help with options for installing the drain on a freestanding tub.

The install is on a concrete slab, so what I have leftover from the previous tub is a square hole in the slab, dirt below, and the old P-Trap in the hole.

My concern is that the install instructions ask you to glue the final 1 1/2” FPT to Slip adapter which will then be inaccessible forever! You would never be able to perform any maintenance on the plumbing or fix a possible leak. Even Jacuzzi told me that the only way to get at the plumbing would be to destroy the $2-3k tub, or come up through the ceiling below, which doesn’t apply.

This can’t possibly be the only option.

The drain and integrated overflow channel meet and then go straight down into the P-Trap [see illustration]
drain1.png

drain2.png

Are there any products on the market that act more like a lav sink, where the drain pipe just gets inserted into the trap and could be pulled out if needed?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to plan for an access panel at that end of the tub.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would guess that the drain on the tub can use a 1.5" slip joint nut and washer to a flanged tailpiece.
Then that would drop down into the receptor at the floor level.
To remove later, you would lift the tub straight up and out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks