Toto's new wall hung toilets: AP, MH, RP, EP - Feedback and Reviews

Users who are viewing this thread

Graystone

Reaction score
I am looking at wall hung toilet options and have seen the Aquia get a lot of praise and reviews online. Toto has newer wall hung models, all now at 1.28 GPF vs the 1.6 GPF of the Aquia (and Maris). I have found very little (actually, no) detailed reviews online that compare them to the Aquia in terms of waste removal performance, water spot, etc.

Updated info based on phone call to Toto USA:

• AP Wall-Hung Toilet (CT426CFG#01) - this is a replacement of the Maris with a slightly different design, 1.28 GPF, and Tornado flush system. It's only offered in a kit with the carrier on the Toto site, but can be ordered individually. This has an elongated bowl and skirted design.
  • MH Wall-Hung Toilet (CT437FG#01) - A new D-shaped bowl with skirted design. It's priced at the highest tier for the wall-hung toilets, with no clear indication why. The D-shaped lid is also more expensive.
  • RP Wall-Hung Toilet (CT447FGT60#01) - A new D-shaped bowl with skirted design. Also at the higher pricing tier. This toilet is not listed individually on their site unless you search for it on Google. The kit version is listed.
  • Aquia [update: being replaced by EP] - the Aquia is being upgraded to the Tornado flush and rimless design, according to this document. It's unclear which model number is the new model number [update: confirmed EP is the replacement].
  • EP Wall-Hung Toilet (CT428CFG#01) - This is a slightly different looking alternative to the Aquia, and it is replacing that toilet. It's 1.28 GPF, Tornado flush, and is only offered in the kit with carrier on the Toto site, although it can be ordered individually.
  • SP Wall-Hung Toilet (CT449CFG#01) - this toilet has a square shape and requires a square seat.
I'm mostly interested in the skirted look of the AP, MH and RP. Does anyone have experience with any of these toilets, especially in how they perform in terms of flush, water spot, etc? If so, please share your thoughts and feedback.

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Graystone

Reaction score
The post has been updated based on my conversation with Toto. The rep I spoke with had to look up some of these toilets because they were new to him.

It appears that Toto is going over to all Dynamax Tornado Flush on these toilets, and including the Cefiontect (ceramic glaze) on most of them and bumping up the price points. I have no experience with the Tornado flush system. Hopefully it's a strong, bowl-cleaning flush given the low water volume.

I'm still inclined to go Geberit carrier tanks with these, but I wonder if a Toto engineered carrier might work better with their own flush system.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com

The standard bowl with the new flush. I was looking for the wall hung version but didn't see one for that.
Yesterday I picked up the new Drake toilet that I will be installing for a customer so I will have a chance to look at it and perhaps take some video.

Last edited:

Graystone

Reaction score

The standard bowl with the new flush. I was looking for the wall hung version but didn't see one for that.
Yesterday I picked up the new Drake toilet that I will be installing for a customer so I will have a chance to look at it and perhaps take some video.
Good to hear. That would be great to see some non Toto produced video. Hopefully switching all of the wall hung toilets over to the Tornado flush system means it works better than previously. It would be great to hear some feedback from the field on these new toilets. Particularly on the water spot size given that they are all 1.28GPF now, and previously the Aquia was 1.6GPF (presumably with a larger water spot). I'm sure each bowl shape will perform differently given that they are each shaped differently.

Does anyone have insight regarding using a 1.6GPF/0/9GPF Geberit carrier tank with a 1.28GPF Toto toilet?
A discussion with a Geberit on the phone said it would cause splashing, while a phone call to Toto said it would be perfectly fine as long as it was not the other way around (1.28GPF tank with a 1.6GPF toilet). I realize these are just customer service reps.

ss3964spd

Reaction score
I installed, and very recently started using, my Geberit/Aquia combination. While I can't offer any insights to how well the new 1.28 bowls perform compared to the 1.6 Aquia I can certainly help with any other questions you might have. I do have 2 floor mounted 1.6 Aquia's installed and the water spots are basically identical to the W/H bowl.

I cannot imagine that bowl performance would differ in the slightest based on who's carrier you use. Push the button and water is simply dumped into the inlet on both.

Last edited:

Graystone

Reaction score
I do have 2 floor mounted 1.6 Aquia's installed and the water spots are basically identical to the W/H bowl.
Got it. Would you say the water spots are sufficient? I assume the 1.28 bowls will have a much smaller water spot, but hopefully someone can shed some light on that.

I cannot imagine that bowl performance would differ in the slightest based on who's carrier you use. Push the button and water is simply dumped into the inlet on both.
I imagine you are right. It is strange how the two companies have different feedback on whether a 1.6 carrier tank can be paired with a 1.28 toilet.

David Greams

Reaction score
I have installed 3 in my home. I used the Gebret carrier frame and the toto toilets. I installed them during a Reno into 2 x 6 walls . I put them in because I have small bathrooms and they save about 12 inches of space, plus I have boys in the house who are young enough to have "aim" problems occasionally and the wall toilets make it so you have no floor penetration and can clean under them. They have never ever ever clogged. These kids have put an inordinate amount of - whatever- in there and down it goes. Most of them have the #1 and #2 flush options. Which supposedly saves water. But I'm pretty sure the kids drain the tank every time.

The draw back- by the time you get them in with flush buttons - toilet - toilet seat- and wall carrier. You're over a grand into it and that's if you installed your self.

The really great- there's no wax ring and all the material is synthetic with presumed extended longevity- also no floor penetration means you can Tub your bathroom floor to completely water proof it. Which removes the risk of rot etc.

They're pretty easy to install but double and triple check the bowl height - two of them in my house are too tall. You can adjust them after the fact but not without drywall work.

I 100% recommend them :)

Graystone

Reaction score
I have installed 3 in my home. I used the Gebret carrier frame and the toto toilets. I installed them during a Reno into 2 x 6 walls . I put them in because I have small bathrooms and they save about 12 inches of space, plus I have boys in the house who are young enough to have "aim" problems occasionally and the wall toilets make it so you have no floor penetration and can clean under them. They have never ever ever clogged. These kids have put an inordinate amount of - whatever- in there and down it goes. Most of them have the #1 and #2 flush options. Which supposedly saves water. But I'm pretty sure the kids drain the tank every time.

The draw back- by the time you get them in with flush buttons - toilet - toilet seat- and wall carrier. You're over a grand into it and that's if you installed your self.

The really great- there's no wax ring and all the material is synthetic with presumed extended longevity- also no floor penetration means you can Tub your bathroom floor to completely water proof it. Which removes the risk of rot etc.

They're pretty easy to install but double and triple check the bowl height - two of them in my house are too tall. You can adjust them after the fact but not without drywall work.

I 100% recommend them :)
Yes, the benefits of in wall tanks/suspended toilets are plentiful. Have you installed some of these newer Toto toilet models that you recommend, or are you just commenting generally on wall hung toilets like the Aquia?

Matt Rieger

Reaction score
I am looking to install a Toto in wall hanging toilet. It is a small bathroom addition and toilet would need to be installed on exterior house wall in Wisconsin. Walls are 2x6 so there would be some room for a little insulation behind tank. Is this going to be problematic in regards to freezing in winter? Thank you in advance.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am looking to install a Toto in wall hanging toilet. It is a small bathroom addition and toilet would need to be installed on exterior house wall in Wisconsin. Walls are 2x6 so there would be some room for a little insulation behind tank. Is this going to be problematic in regards to freezing in winter? Thank you in advance.
Yes, I would think so.

You insulation of choice would be XPS or EPS, but I think that you would need more insulation than what you could put behind that toilet.

ss3964spd

Reaction score
The water spot with the 1.6 Aquia is already minimal, so even if it is less with the 1.28 it just can't be much less. The tank of the 1.28 carrier may be smaller, and maybe the flush valve a bit different, but they both still work by exposing the hole at the bottom of the tank and flooding the bowl with an in-rush of water. I'm sure the primary difference is the design of the 1.28 bowl, so perhaps dumping 1.6G into the 1.28G bowl overwhelms it causing splashing. Seems one could simply adjust the water level of the 1.6 carrier to be lower.

Yes, all the components of an in-wall system do add up. But, if you have to replace the old toilet with a new one anyway, and you are going to go with a higher end model, you only spend the difference between the two. 1K for the complete in-wall vs. 400 for a complete floor mount, = 600 additional cost.

I'd think long and hard about installing one in an exterior wall in a climate that sees hard freezes.

FrankFont

Reaction score
Also wondering if anyone has installed a 1.28/09 GPF toto wall hung toilet onto a Geberit 1.6/0.8 GPF tank. Geberit would not reply other than to refer back to their compatibility chart. Toto said that it should be no problem. Not sure if it is an issue with regards to the flow or fitting with the holes, etc.

michbee

Reaction score
The post has been updated based on my conversation with Toto. The rep I spoke with had to look up some of these toilets because they were new to him.

It appears that Toto is going over to all Dynamax Tornado Flush on these toilets, and including the Cefiontect (ceramic glaze) on most of them and bumping up the price points. I have no experience with the Tornado flush system. Hopefully it's a strong, bowl-cleaning flush given the low water volume.

I'm still inclined to go Geberit carrier tanks with these, but I wonder if a Toto engineered carrier might work better with their own flush system.

Has anyone had luck with the Geberit carrier with the NEW Toto AP wall hung toilet? Toto seems to have limited information and while I prefer the Geberit tank system to the TOTO, I want to make sure that they are both compatible and that we are able to use the tornado flush without a toto tank. The rep I spoke to seemed uncertain.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Has anyone had luck with the Geberit carrier with the NEW Toto AP wall hung toilet? Toto seems to have limited information and while I prefer the Geberit tank system to the TOTO, I want to make sure that they are both compatible and that we are able to use the tornado flush without a toto tank. The rep I spoke to seemed uncertain.

Look up the specs on Geberits website or call them on the phone. They list something like 70 toilets that are compatible with their carriers. Other manufactures that I've spoken to will not list any toilets but their own because they haven't and won't test them.. its not in their interest.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Also wondering if anyone has installed a 1.28/09 GPF toto wall hung toilet onto a Geberit 1.6/0.8 GPF tank. Geberit would not reply other than to refer back to their compatibility chart. Toto said that it should be no problem. Not sure if it is an issue with regards to the flow or fitting with the holes, etc.

I just double checked our last wall hung project. We installed the matching carrier/tank with the toilet. I think you would just swap out the flush valve tho.. just need tiny hands.
What we installed recently
Geberit 2x4 Sigma carrier 111.597.00.1
Toto MH wall hung toilet CT437FG#01

Graystone

Reaction score
My discussion with both companies was that it would make no difference which brand carrier you use. You just want to make sure they are rated for the same GPM.

Mordy Kaplinsky

Reaction score
My discussion with both companies was that it would make no difference which brand carrier you use. You just want to make sure they are rated for the same GPM.
Funny! I spoke to both Geberit and Toto, and they both said that they're not compatible. When I pushed the fact that all the Tornado TOTO models use the same wall carrier so they shouldn't be able to be different, I was given a vague 'might be slightly different' answer. This was December 30th. If you have any updates on this please let me know, as I don't wanto go with the MH as the toilet seat is a nightmare and its for a rental unit.

Graystone

Reaction score
Funny! I spoke to both Geberit and Toto, and they both said that they're not compatible. When I pushed the fact that all the Tornado TOTO models use the same wall carrier so they shouldn't be able to be different, I was given a vague 'might be slightly different' answer. This was December 30th. If you have any updates on this please let me know, as I don't wanto go with the MH as the toilet seat is a nightmare and its for a rental unit.
They told you that Geberit wall carriers were incompatible with Toto toilets (and visa versa) across the board? That does not make sense, given that Geberit carriers have been around and used for many years for Toto toilets. Toto only started making carriers in recent years, and they were not being installed without carriers. Geberit also lists compatible Toto toilets on their website.

Or, were they telling you that a 1.60 GPF rated carrier from Geberit was not compatible with a 1.28 GPF toilet from Toto? That's a GPF issue rather than a brand issue.

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
Updated info based on phone call to Toto USA:
  • Aquia [update: being replaced by EP] - the Aquia is being upgraded to the Tornado flush and rimless design, according to this document. It's unclear which model number is the new model number [update: confirmed EP is the replacement].
  • EP Wall-Hung Toilet (CT428CFG#01) - This is a slightly different looking alternative to the Aquia, and it is replacing that toilet. It's 1.28 GPF,

This is an interesting point. The Geberit compatibility chart does not list the new EP toilets. I'm getting ready to order components and I'm reluctant to order a discontinued model, especially if the replacement (EP) functions/flushes better than the discontinued (Aquia) model. I'm also wondering if it's possible that a 1.28 GPF bowl can have a better flush than a 1.6 GPF bowl?

But it's seems entirely unclear whether the new 1.28 GPF EP is compatible with the 1.6 GPF Geberit carrier (111.798.00.1)?

The local supplier said that the discontinued Aquia model is still available.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks