Toto toliet questions

Users who are viewing this thread

FJK

Reaction score
Toto toilet questions

I have a Toto Drake toilet that I like & it really works well. Another toilet I have , is starting to leak at the flange, so I'm thinking of just installing a new toilet. I would like a Toto, but I see there are some things I need to improve upon.

1) Color: Does Toto offer any colors besides the 4 specified: cotton, bone, Colonial white, Sedoma Beige? What line of Toto toilets offer more colors.

2) Skid marks: What Toto toilet is better than the Drake? It is really bad for this.

3) Exterior configuration: The Drake has all that "horn" surface down both sides which makes cleaning more time consuming. What Toto is like a Drake, but has smooth flat exterior sides?

Thanks for any guidance.

Jim

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Toto Vespin II has an enclosed bowl for easy cleaning, CEFIONTECT and double cyclone rinse.
Cotton White, Colonial White, Beige/Biscuit, Bone/Almond come with CEFIONTECT

Black is available, without CEFIONTECT.

cst474cefg_main.jpg

Last edited:

FJK

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. This leads to another question. How do you access the hold down bolts? Thru those windows at the rear of the skirt? Does that make installing the Vespin more trickey, because you can't see the hold down studs while you are lowering the toilet? Please comment. Thanks, Jim

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks Terry. This leads to another question. How do you access the hold down bolts? Thru those windows at the rear of the skirt? Does that make installing the Vespin more trickey, because you can't see the hold down studs while you are lowering the toilet? Please comment. Thanks, Jim

It's not too bad...
I was a bit scared until I did my first one...
It was surprisingly easy.

If it was in tight quarters I'd have some worries...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They are an easy installation.
You set the bowl down on the adapter, and snug the nuts down in the little windows at the back, after you have made sure that the bowl is laying flat on the floor.
If you need to shim the bowl, shim at the back before the nuts are tighened. Then use clear polyseamseal to caulk the bowl to the floor.

loctite-tub-tile.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The Vespin, along with some other Toto toilets, uses an adapter bolted to the floor to make the seal to the flange. Then, you set the toilet down on the adapter. So, it's pretty straightforward. The things that actually make the seal are all done out in the open, without the toilet actually installed. There's a rubber gasket that seals the toilet to the adapter, then you tighten the nuts to hold the toilet to the adapter. Check out the spec sheet, it becomes fairly obvious.

FJK

Reaction score
I did check out the spec sheet & I see what you mean. I assume there are no issues with this unique drain design. It also looks like the floor flange height might be less critical as well.

BTW, Terry's 3rd post in this string looks like it was ment to answer a different question.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I have two in my house: the original Vespin that's been installed nearly 10-years, and a Carlyle for about 5. Both have been problem free. Our water can be harsh, and I have replaced the flapper valves, and the repair cap in the fill valve, but those parts are available at Lowes and local plumbing stores, and are inexpensive.

bikeman

Reaction score
Hi - Am I correct in my reading that ADA Toto bowl heights are only available on elongated bowls? We need to install a round bowl due to space considerations in the room. Thanks!

Jadnashua

Reaction score
To be ADA, it has to be elongated, but look for 'comfort height', which is often the same (or close) as in an ADA toilet. To meet ADA guidelines, it's more than just height. ADA height is still a range, and comfort height or some similar name is often within that range.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks