TOTO Drake II fill valve adjustment

Users who are viewing this thread

Laraby

Reaction score
Hi, we have a Toto Drake II 454. I'd like the bowl to fill a little higher and wonder if I can adjust that. I've attached photo. It seems the tank water level is more than 1/2 inch below top of overflow. I see a white plastic "screw" thing on top of fill valve. Is that how I adjust the water level? All the photos I've been able to find in the forum show blue valves.
Is this valve adjustable? thanks in advance!

toto.jpg

Laraby

Reaction score
thanks - I tried it, didn't seem to change it - I think I turn counter-clockwise to raise the water level?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Clockwise to raise the water level.
This may not wind up affecting the fill level in the bowl though. The max on that is the top of the curve on the trapway.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you are looking to use a little more water on flush, you could consider an adjustable flapper.

Or just hold the handle down for a bit for a bigger individual flush.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water on modern low flow toilets regulated. You should not adjust the water level in the tank. Only he prescribed amount of water will be released. Low flow toilets do not empty the tank on a normal flush. The remaining water serves to add a bit of pressure to the flush and provide extra water of an extreme flush. As previously noted, water level in the bowl is controlled by the built in weir and can not be changed. Yes, holding the handle down to drain the tank will work, but totally defeats the low flush feature. OK in extreme cases, not OK as a normal practice.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Terry mentioned it, but to reinforce what he said, the bowl is probably getting as full as it can get. To test that, get a bucket and SLOWLY pour water into the bowl after noting the water level. Leave it alone for maybe 20-30 seconds and recheck the level. If it went up, then there is more room and it could be raised. It's more likely, though, that it will return to exactly the same level, as you can't fill a bowl higher than the rim. In a toilet, that's the weir that goes into the drain. Think of it like a dam...water can't stay higher than the top, but it might exceed it momentarily while filling, which is why you need to wait a bit for things to stabilize after adding water.

If it does go up and stay there, raising the water level in the tank may help a little as it would also run longer filling the bowl. If not enough, then a replacement fill valve with an adjustable bowl/tank refill adjustment should solve that.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
As Terry said, the bowl is designed to hold a certain amount of water, and although it will fill up a little bit on refill beyond that level, ultimately it will settle back to that level as the excess water runs over the weir. (See diagram below.) That "settle level" is not changeable. If the water doesn't seem to be filling the bowl to where it should be, perhaps the toilet was installed not level and instead tipped back a bit and therefore the water runs over the weir sooner? It doesn't happen often, but that's really the only realistic cause.

Put another way, no matter how much you fill it, the bowl water level will always return to the design level.

If the bowl wasn't getting enough refill water and now settles at a higher level, great. But most likely, it's full. You can run Jim's test to be sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks