Toto Drake - Hissing Sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Dinger928

Reaction score
Hey all, I did a search on here and couldn't really come up with an exact match of what my Drake is doing. The toilet when flushed flushes fine and fills to the appropriate level. After it stops, there is no leaking from the 'black line' which feeds into the tube. After a couple of hours when I walk by the bathroom, I can hear a faint hissing sound coming from the tank. When I open it up, there is no water dripping from the line, but I hear a distinct hissing sound coming from the blue top of the korky style unit.

Is this just something I need to pick up at lowes, a new cap? I have seen this mentioned a couple of times for a couple of dollars? Or would this be a flapper problem?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

Dinger928

Reaction score
Terry,

Thanks, I'll give that a shot today and post back.

Is this the 528 part # I have seen referenced a few times?

TIA

Peanut Butter

Reaction score
I've spent the last two hours reading all the Toto threads on leaking and this one sounds the closest to mine.

My Toto Drake is two years old. Now it flushes and doesn't leak right away. Later there is a slight hissing sound but then it goes frump, frump, frump and about a 1/4 cup of water spits out of the black tube and into the hollow tube.

This has been going on for a couple of months and now I also get loud noises in my water pipes.

1. Do you think this is an assembly cap issue or a flapper issue? Or both? (I just learned those terms tonight so if you say yes I'll go to Lowe's and blindly ask for them)

2. Is the toilet problem related now to the knocking in the pipes?

PS Two years ago I used this site to research a new toilet and a quiet bathroom fan. You have no idea how glad I am that I did. As a single parent every dollar counts and I really do feel I got my money's worth!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Two issues here. If the filler needs to turn on, the flapper is probably leaking. The uneven running of the valve is probably the cap gasket assembly. About $13 for both, and you should be back to new. I think the warranty is 5-years, so you might just call Toto and I think they'll send you some for free. Give them a call on Monday, or just buy a set at Lowes. You could still call, eventually, you'll need them - they can last a long time, but evenutally, they'll fail.

Do NOT use any of those in-tank cleaning chemicals...they'll eat up the rubber parts.

Peanut Butter

Reaction score
Thanks muchly. I've never used the in-tank chemicals because my cats drink from the bowl, but good to know.

I'm going to empty the tank too and try to dissolve the mineral deposit in my bowl. It's so rough with our hard water. I think I remember reading two years ago to use car paste wax. I wish I'd done that when it was new but I was so excited to use it!

I'll call Toto on Monday. I don't think I have the receipt but hopefully they'll believe me. :) I never realized they were under warranty. Last year the chain tore out of the flapper and I stuck it to make a new hole in the rubber dohickey.

Even though I'm having to fix these, this toilet was cheaper than most others and passed the no-clog teenage boy test. It's been such a blessing to retire the plunger to the garage. Wish I'd done it years ago. It's like getting a pebble out of your shoe.

Thanks, you guys are awesome!

Pippin

Reaction score
I'm going to empty the tank too and try to dissolve the mineral deposit in my bowl. It's so rough with our hard water. I think I remember reading two years ago to use car paste wax. I wish I'd done that when it was new but I was so excited to use it!

I did some searching for the use of "car wax" when toilet is new but I found no threads. Can anyone comment on how and why "car paste wax" is used on toilets?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I Googled {"car wax" toilet} and found a few relevant hits, none of them particularly authoritative. For example:

"My coworker turtle waxes her toilet bowl. She cleans, then dips out the water. She does it every 1 or 2 years. She says it works like a charm."

Chris Ware

Reaction score
Toto hissing

It sounds like the assembly cap needs replacement.
$2.47 at Lowes.
It's mady by Korky for the Korky Quietfill.
https://terrylove.com/korky/

Hi Terry, I'm having a similar hissing issue. I tried replacing the valve cap, but after turning the water back on and flushing, I had water continuously coming out of the refill tube. Any ideas what would cause this? That wasn't happening with the old valve cap.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Hi Terry, I'm having a similar hissing issue. I tried replacing the valve cap, but after turning the water back on and flushing, I had water continuously coming out of the refill tube. Any ideas what would cause this? That wasn't happening with the old valve cap.

Try removing and reinstalling the cap.

And make sure you put the float back on after replacing the cap.

Notacompletenovice

Reaction score
I have to wonder if something is going on with the Korky caps. Thanks to you, I've used replacement caps before and they've always worked like a dream. This time around I've tried 2 (one older that was in a drawer and 1 new) and still have the hissing leak problem. I think the source of the problem is the cap itself, because if I put a weight on it, the hissing stops and it quits filling. (I also tried replacing the floater but that didn't do a darn thing.) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I have to wonder if something is going on with the Korky caps. Thanks to you, I've used replacement caps before and they've always worked like a dream. This time around I've tried 2 (one older that was in a drawer and 1 new) and still have the hissing leak problem. I think the source of the problem is the cap itself, because if I put a weight on it, the hissing stops and it quits filling. (I also tried replacing the floater but that didn't do a darn thing.) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Follow these instructions and clean the parts in the valve, including the little strainer thing in the bottom, with dish soap. Then reassemble and you should be fine. http://www.bayplumbingsupply.com/images/documents/voretolavallefillvalveinstructions-rev06-1.pdf

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Do you have any idea what your water pressure is? If it is excessive (code says it should not exceed 80psi), things have a harder time sealing, and a toilet fill valve may be the first to show it.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
By the way, I bought five of the caps at HD this week for a friend that runs a bar. I had put a 528 in the 2-piece Gerber toilet after the Fluidmaster failed again from the 150 degree hot water that is plumbed to all of her fixtures (I know, I know...). It held up for 3 months, and then started running. Popped in one of the caps and voila -- good for another 3 months. Much easier than having the plumber come swap the valve. (I know...just connect the cold...I know. Let's just say it's the owners and leave it at that.) I left the others with her.

Just a point: Lowe's no longer stocks these (boo!!!!) while HD still does. I figured cleaning out the Manhattan HD of all of them might keep HD stocking them...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks