TOTO Carlyle MS874114SG Flapper vs Tower ????

Users who are viewing this thread

JamaicaJoe

Reaction score
I have a Carlyle one piece. It is the first version not the II. Importantly, it is 1.6 GPF.

It is supposed to have the THU013W flapper valve. I ordered one from a distributor and was told it was out of stock, they would get back to me shortly. So I called TOTO Service and was told to buy a THU453.6B-A. Then the distributor emails back and says the correct part is THU451.10A-A. (which is "in stock")

So I call back to Toto Service and they confirm the THU453.6B-A which I have ordered.

Here is my confusion the THU453.6B-A is listed for newer 1.28 GPF toilets. Is this going to affect the flushing capacity of my toilet? The old valve has a tube that extends ~7 3/16 above the bottom of the tank.

What is the difference between these parts? Why doesn't TOTO have a cross reference for old product?

abak_carlyle.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Do you need an entire flush valve assembly? Or do you just need a new 3" flapper. Korky makes their 3060 that works well with TOTO.

I prefer the Korky 3060 flapper

korky-3060-2.jpg

Last edited:

JamaicaJoe

Reaction score
I normally might just replace the flapper, but this toilet has had some chlorine tabs in it for a couple years so the O ring is also probably bad so I thought replacing the entire piece would be best. The THU453.6B-A tower valve is ordered. I am just concerned that is the correct part, and won't limit my 1.6 GPF. There seems to be no cross reference on line to confirm that this is the correct part for the Carlyle MS874114SG and when I have a distributor telling me one thing and the manufacturer another I like to sort it out. Once I install it it will be hard returning it.

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:

JamaicaJoe

Reaction score
Well I installed it. Customer service at TOTO confirmed the PN. The THU453.6B-A. The height of the weir tube is correct and it fit exactly into place. I did find the bowl fill was a bit on the dry side so I adjusted the float cup to the lowest peg on the second try per the referenced post above. It seems OK, we will be putting it to the test. TOTO needs to publish some cross reference for older products. The folks at customer service had to dig for the part number. I wonder if the new materials will withstand chlorine tablets?

Reaction score
Well I installed it. Customer service at TOTO confirmed the PN. The THU453.6B-A. The height of the weir tube is correct and it fit exactly into place.

I need to install the flush valve assembly on the same model toilet- Would love to know how yours worked out?? Trying to decide which of the two you reference to get....

JamaicaJoe

Reaction score
Mine is working well. I did adjust it per a link in a post above to stay open longer and fill the bowl more completely. The trick is to adjust it so that less water (weight) is contained in the cup on top of the float. Too much and the excess water will be wasted, and flow out of the bowl through the drain. I think mine is set to the max, may need do set it back a notch. But working well.

PURBAN

Reaction score
I normally might just replace the flapper, but this toilet has had some chlorine tabs in it for a couple years so the O ring is also probably bad so I thought replacing the entire piece would be best. The THU453.6B-A tower valve is ordered. I am just concerned that is the correct part, and won't limit my 1.6 GPF. There seems to be no cross reference on line to confirm that this is the correct part for the Carlyle MS874114SG and when I have a distributor telling me one thing and the manufacturer another I like to sort it out. Once I install it it will be hard returning it.

Newer but not improved as it turns out.

As an owner of one of these units I've tried living with the new flush tower redesign for over a year now. Not sure I like it either. Replacing the flapper wouldn't stop the tank from draining. Twice I installed new TOTO brand flappers with no luck. I couldn't find anything obviously wrong with the tower seal, but there had to be one. So I "upgraded" to the newer expensive redesign. The new design does seal, it seals too well. Since the mechanism lifts the seal vertically it requires a lot more effort to release water from the tank. TOTO lost confidence in the original tower design. Maybe they need to keep working on it. Maybe the quality of municipal water supplies is what is causing the problems?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks