Toto Bristol POS need help replacing...

Users who are viewing this thread

joe221

Reaction score
OK, it's been a while since I perused these forums. I found this site after I had trouble with my Bristol that I bought in 2006. I've come to the end of my rope and have decided to replace it and NOT get another Toto. That won't sit well here as there is obviously a love of that brand. Well not from me.
I started with my plumbers rec of the AS Champion 4. That doesn't seem to have much "love" lower case l, here either. Can I get some recommendations please.
I'd like a single piece, elongated toilet that doesn't need plunging to make it work. A reasonably large water surface (the Bristol won't fill the "diamond") and reliability. Thanks for any help!!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't see the Bristol in the Toto catalog, so I can't offer any comment on it or it's likely performance. I can tell you that of the 4 toilets I own: two Drakes, a Vespin, and a Carlyle...in the 5-6 years the only thing required has been replace a flapper valve and the fill valve caps after they did some work and sent a bunch of crap into the water lines; they've never clogged or needed a plunger. Both of the parts were readily available at Lowes and a plumbing supply house.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
toto_cst854_inside_tank.jpg

Look inside the tank, the black tubing should be putting water inside the overflow tube on the right.
This is how the bowl is filled.
If the bowl is not filled, it will not flush right.

What you have is similar in performance to a Toto Ultimate like the picture above. I had one for two years in a heavy use bathroom without plunging. If your fill tube is not in the right place, this may be your problem.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Another thing that can severely impat the operation of a toilet is if you got duped into using one of the wax rings with embedded plastic horns...these can get off-center and close up, restricting the ability of any toilet to work right.

joe221

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies.

The Bristol is no more, while many other models live on. Seems suspicious to me. I still think it's a bad design. Lowboy and low GPF = no strength.

The interior piping is fine. Toto even sent me a replacement kit when I first complained. Full water flow in, it's the flushing part that fails.

I can't speak for the ring, it was installed by a licensed plumber.

I attached a pic of the Bristol.

Other customers solved this by making sure the supply tube was going into the fill valve. I didn't see a picture of how yours was set up, with other owners, I was able to talk them through it over the phone.
The Bristol is like the Supreme and the Ultimate, both models still being sold and working well. The Bristol had a different tank style, but the working parts of the bowl, trapway and flush valve were similar.
I personally had the Ultimate in a high use home and didn't plunge it for two years. High using meaning parties with over 100 people and 20-30 people on weekends. I also installed some in the womens bathroom of the church I go to. Terry

Attachments

• Bristol.jpg
    Bristol.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 256
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks