12" Toto Drake on 11 3/8" rough? And performance

Users who are viewing this thread

Emblem1972

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm looking at replacing a 1972 Eljer Emblem and would like something with a very strong flush. Been doing a lot of research, and my early digging brought up the American Standard Champion 4 as the king of flushes, but the more I searched on that specific model, the more complaints I ran into about leaks and quality control issues. My travels eventually led me here, where there seems to be a pretty clear preference for Toto Drake, and I've been reading that its performance is comparable to the Champion as well.

That leaves me with two questions. First, I've measured and re-measured, straight from the wall to center bolts, no baseboard, and I consistently come up with just a hair less than 11.5" rough-in. 11-3/8" as near as my aging eyes can narrow down. The Emblem's tank is right up against the wall, no gap. I've seen in the New Drake thread (here) that 11-3/16" is enough for the CST776CEFG, but elsewhere in the forum that it needs 11.5". I'd love to be able to put in either a CST776CEFG-11, or CST776CSFG-11 for the 1.6 GPF. Do you good folks reckon either of those 12" rough models would fit, or would it be wiser to go with a 10" rough (in which case I'm eyeing the CST776CEFG.10-01)?

Second question: would the Drake indeed be a top-tier choice for flush performance? I'm not too concerned about looks, and it can be loud enough to wake the dead as long as I all but never have to unclog the thing. If so, any thoughts on CST776CEFG vs CST776CSFG? I'm open to non-Drake recommendations as well.

Thank you very much.

Reach4

Reaction score
You can find a 12 inch to fit no problem.

1. there may be plenty of room with the toilet centered over the closet flange
2. You can take advantage of slop by "cheating" the toilet away from the wall.
3. You can add shims aft to tilt the tank slightly away from the wall. You probably need shims to avoid rocking anyway.

Place toilet without wax initially. Add shims, and mark/tape into place. Lift toilet. Drop wax. Drop toilet.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
its going to fit probebly without any tricks mentioned above but I allways have tricks like that up my sleeve

Emblem1972

Reaction score
After some misadventures with the purchase and delivery, I finally got my Drake installed today. Thank you both for your advice!

It fit, but it was a near thing, and the tank is touching the wall. It's not being pushed forward, but it's a definite touch. Is this anything I should be concerned about?

Thanks again!

Reach4

Reaction score
Did you slide the toilet as far forward as tolerances/slop allowed?

You could have shimmed the aft part of the base a smidgeon, and created a tiny tilt away from the wall. Too late now, unless you want to put in new wax too.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
no thats the way you planned it perfect job , just kidding, but it sounds good

Emblem1972

Reaction score
Reach4, I didn't DIY it. I gave the installer a heads up about the rough-in, and it looked like he made the best he could of the space. I'm not worried about aesthetics, just wanted to check on whether this was likely to cause problems with the tank, e.g. cracking.

Jeff, heh! That's what I'm hoping.

Thanks as always!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
As long as the tank to bowl connection is leak free your good. It's actually nice to have the tank touch the wall, (or really close to touching) that way if you happen to lose your balance or lean on it accidently, the wall is there to support it. I had an elderly customer break their tank off from leaning on it.

Reach4

Reaction score
Can you slip a piece of paper between the tank and the wall without force?

Emblem1972

Reaction score
Crap. Feeling some leakage around the bolts connecting the bowl to the tank. Looks like it's too tight after all. I'm having the pro back next week and we'll see if there's anything to be done. Maybe try the shimming.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks