Toilet flange detached from pipe...how to extend???

Users who are viewing this thread

blakelock

Reaction score
(see pics).
new floor necessitates toilet flange extender. no biggie. I'm reading up on it and understand the common options. problem is, my current metal flange seems to be detached from the black plastic pipe flange and stuck underneath it.
- how do I install a flange extender on top of this when the current flange is detached from the pipe? if I bolt the current flange down, the black plastic pipe will sit up above it.
- do I (should I) remove the black plastic pipe end? this would allow me to install whatever flange adaptor I want. It feels like its stuck on pretty good.

cheers,
blakelock

Attachments

• IMG_0990.JPG
    IMG_0990.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0993.JPG
    IMG_0993.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 203

Reach4

Reaction score
There is more than one good choice. Look at the DANCO Model 10672X is Hydroseat. It may fit your needs. Read up on it. You put one or more normal wax ring under it. I used to think you put another ring on top, but I see they are planning that you just put the toilet on top with no top wax. This would fit cases where the feet are going to be on top of the finished floor, and you can drill holes for the feet. You may be able to use the holes not on the feet to hold it down, but I am not sure. I am not a plumber.

I expect that you could leave that blue ring as it lies.

What will go on top of the existing wood, if anything? Ideally the Hydroseat feet would go on top of the top layer, but watch that you are able to screw the Hydroseat down. Porcelean tile is very hard to drill.

There are other possible solutions. They would depend on knowing more about your black ring.

The black piece is going to be on there good. The wax will be sealing against the black part.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The closet flange is glued onto the fitting or pipe. It's not going anywhere soon. If the plastic is solidly in place, it would be usable without much work. The metal ring that holds the closet bolts needs to be secured to the floor as it is the only thing hold the closet bolts in place. With the flange low like that, it's a two was ring job.

You can also raise the flange with one of these.

neorest-install-03.jpg

I sometimes cut them shorter, removing the label before I slide the rubber seal upward.

quick-ring-terrylove-1.jpg

Or something like this if I need to hold the closet bolts or firm up the drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks