Toilet differences

Users who are viewing this thread

C@TCH

Reaction score
are toilets from box stores any different from pluming supply houses, same toilets considerably cheaper at box stores. I’m looking for a new toilet for bathroom reno, last one I bought was a Champion 4, like the way it flushes but not happy with how little water surface there is in bowl. Is there a way to adjust this?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
SOmetimes, they're different, sometimes, they're not. If the part numbers are identical, they're likely identical. IF they have different numbers or letters (like a dash x, for example), they're different.

SOme have said that on some examples, those sold at the big box stores may come off of the same assembly line, but do not go through the same quality control steps...making the buyer the QA person that may not know what to look for. This lets more 'pass', so they can be sold cheaper.

Keep in mind that low-flow toilets still need to change all of the water in the bowl with a flush. The less water they use, the less there can be in the bowl or you're left with a less than clean mix...

There is only one 'right' bowl water height. Generally, there's nothing you can do to raise it. TO check that it's at the max, note the water height - maybe mark it with something, then SLOWLY pour some water into the bowl. If it rises, and STAYS higher, it's not adjusted properly, and yes, you can raise it a bit. If it stabilizes back where it was, there's nothing you can do.

To get a deeper level, you need a differently shaped bowl, but then, it wouldn't be as wide. Gone are the days when you can buy a toilet that flushes as much as 7-8 gallons - those had huge, deep bowls and monster tanks.

C@TCH

Reaction score
I do know that big stores like HD and Costco have their own part numbers with an extra digit or letter so that you can’t compare prices or price match but products are exactly the same.

SOmetimes, they're different, sometimes, they're not. If the part numbers are identical, they're likely identical. IF they have different numbers or letters (like a dash x, for example), they're different.

SOme have said that on some examples, those sold at the big box stores may come off of the same assembly line, but do not go through the same quality control steps...making the buyer the QA person that may not know what to look for. This lets more 'pass', so they can be sold cheaper.

Keep in mind that low-flow toilets still need to change all of the water in the bowl with a flush. The less water they use, the less there can be in the bowl or you're left with a less than clean mix...

There is only one 'right' bowl water height. Generally, there's nothing you can do to raise it. TO check that it's at the max, note the water height - maybe mark it with something, then SLOWLY pour some water into the bowl. If it rises, and STAYS higher, it's not adjusted properly, and yes, you can raise it a bit. If it stabilizes back where it was, there's nothing you can do.

To get a deeper level, you need a differently shaped bowl, but then, it wouldn't be as wide. Gone are the days when you can buy a toilet that flushes as much as 7-8 gallons - those had huge, deep bowls and monster tanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I do know that big stores like HD and Costco have their own part numbers with an extra digit or letter so that you can’t compare prices or price match but products are exactly the same.

They are not the same if the part numbers are different.
There isn't a way to adjust the water level in the Champion. It's not one I like that much either. There is better stuff out there. Maybe better than what "you" had though.
For American Standard I sometimes pick up the Cadet PRO series.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks