Supply line for Toto with Unifit

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by MJA1, Sep 9, 2018.

1. MJA1

MJA1 New Member

Wondering why 8” supply line requirement for skirted Toto toilets. These are both 14” rough-ins and I was hoping for one piece toilets. Also, from an installer’s perspective would there be any problems with installation and repair in these narrow areas? Thanks in advance for any input.

Attached Files:

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

https://terrylove.com/wc/unifit.htm says
    They recommend that the water supply be 8" to the left of center, however, for the Vespin II and the Carlyle II you can get by with 5.5" from left of center.
    5-1/2" for the Vespin II, Carlyle II, Carolina II, Soiree and the Guinevere.
    I expect the 8 inch number is on centers and the 5.5 is to the edge of the valve.

It appears that nothing holds your flange down, other than the glued PVC pipe. That is probably OK with the Unifit, because that uses 4 screws that you drill holes for, plus it puts significant reliance on the caulking to prevent the front from swinging left and right.

Your use of the offset flange was a good idea if you could not move the deeper piping.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    [​IMG]

The TOTO bowls that use the Unifit are wide at the back and go almost to the wall.

[​IMG]

I think this shutoff was at 8"

5. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

Isn't that pipe coming out of the floor going to be a problem with a skirted Toto?

6. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

7. MJA1

MJA1 New Member

Thank you for noticing that. That means in that bath I need to use a toilet with 12" rough-in. I also need a round seat d/t space limitations. Are there some toilets that "sit closer to the wall" than others. I was looking at a Drake II round. Thanks for any input.

8. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

9. MJA1

MJA1 New Member

Thanks, I really try and avoid Kohler products. I would rather have the toilet stick out from the wall than use them. I just wondered if there was a 12” r-i Toto that would sit closer to walk than Drake ii. From reading some of these posts it seems not all toilets are the same length from the bolts back.

10. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I would think you would be thinking about the length from the bolts forward more than the bolts back.

11. MJA1

MJA1 New Member

I guess I need to reread some things and look again at the specs. Apparently I’m thinking about this all wrong. I’m getting no help from my contractor. Unfortunately, the response is “just pick the toilet that you want”

12. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    You need to read the spec sheets carefully to determine the clearance behind the toilet to the wall. Most of the Totos that use the UniFit adapter have 3/4" behind them.

Not all round toilets are actually shorter overall than an elongated one, so you need to again, read the spec sheets carefully. FWIW, your knees typically project the same distance whether it's a round bowl or an elongated one, if that's a factor. It's just that an elongated one is more male-friendly.

13. MJA1

MJA1 New Member

I cannot use a Toto that uses a Unifit because the supply comes out of the floor. My only option is to put a 12” r-i toilet in a 14” r-i spot (staying with Toto) thus wanting a toilet has the most “depth” behind the bolts ( to be closer to the wall). The area where the toilet is is 26” wide by 29” therefore the need for a round seat.

Attached Files: