Strange fault light on Franklin Subdrive 150 (Model 5870204150)

Users who are viewing this thread

Leeelson

Reaction score
I'm getting 10 flashes of the fault light. They sort of come in pairs over about 15 seconds (i.e. 5 pairs of flashes). Then, for about 30 seconds nothing happens, then the process repeats, 10 more flashes. This goes on for 5 minutes, then stops for 10 minutes or so. I checked the supply voltage: rock solid at 240. Everything else (pressure--50) works normally. I re-set the controller (circuit breaker off for 5 minutes). Neither the manual, my installer nor Franklin Tech support can offer any insight. Any ideas?

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
Are you sure that it's ten flashes because it only goes up to an 8 flash fault code in the manual?

The pump installer's supply house would supply you with a new control box under warranty but the supply house sends your old control box back to Franklin's plant now, so Franklin can decide whether or not it's covered under warranty.

Leeelson

Reaction score
Are you sure that it's ten flashes because it only goes up to an 8 flash fault code in the manual?

The pump installer's supply house would supply you with a new control box under warranty but the supply house sends your old control box back to Franklin's plant now, so Franklin can decide whether or not it's covered under warranty.
Well, I didn't have to take my shoes off to count but it took two hands. ;-)
When I shut off the power, I get the standard 2 flash signal (low supply voltage), so I know what that is. The 10 flashes are different.
I understand this is unusual, hence my subject line.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Your lucky it is still pumping water. Computerized VFDs like the subdrive are going to fail. It is just a matter of when and how.

If the controller is not under warranty, you can probably change the motor from three phase back to a normal single phase motor and add a CSV for the same or less than a new subdrive will cost. Then you will still have constant pressure without all the problems of a VFD.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
On your configuration switch (SW1), do you have it where dip switch 1 is on and 2 is off?

Leeelson

Reaction score
On your configuration switch (SW1), do you have it where dip switch 1 is on and 2 is off?
No. All are off. I see in the manual that my settings are incorrect. Could that cause the fault lights? This is the first time in 9 years that its happened.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
So, has it been like this for 9yrs getting under voltage for 1.5hp pump? Fix your settings, post back to let us know if it fixed the problem.

Last edited:

Leeelson

Reaction score
So, has it been like this for 9yrs getting under voltage for 1.5hp pump? Fix your settings, post back to let us know if it fixed the problem.
Complications: I recently tightened all the in/out power wires and the problem seems to have stopped. (Hard to believe). The sw1 settings are still incorrect. If this continues for a couple days, I will likely let sleeping dogs lie since its worked for 9 years, otherwise I'll fix the switch. Either way, I'll report back.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
A Franklin SDQP 18-265 IS a 1.5 hp motor, not a 3 hp. It did not need a subdrive 150. A subdrive 75 would have been sufficient.

For some reason, Franklin has labeled the subdrive with a numbering system that is only half of the horsepower that The drive can run. A SD 75 will run up to a 1.5 hp motor, a SD100 will run a 2 hp, a SD150 will run up to a 3 hp and a SD300 will run a 5 hp.

Without looking in the AIM manual, you probably do have the correct dip switch settings for your pump.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
And yes I replaced a SD100 Monday. Installed it in Dec 2009. Replaced the pump and controller under warranty in 2012. Open circuit over the weekend. Bad pressure tank. Out of warranty now. Installed a New fl28 pressure tank and new Berkely pump and Intellidrive.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Of the dozen or so Sub Drives we have installed in the past 6 yrs, we've been back over 2 to replace the downhole wire. Not because it was chaffed, but because it was blown apart inside the double jacket.

By comparison, we have about the same number of SQE's out there with no reported issues.

Leeelson

Reaction score
A Franklin SDQP 18-265 IS a 1.5 hp motor, not a 3 hp. It did not need a subdrive 150. A subdrive 75 would have been sufficient.

For some reason, Franklin has labeled the subdrive with a numbering system that is only half of the horsepower that The drive can run. A SD 75 will run up to a 1.5 hp motor, a SD100 will run a 2 hp, a SD150 will run up to a 3 hp and a SD300 will run a 5 hp.

Without looking in the AIM manual, you probably do have the correct dip switch settings for your pump.
Interesting. My original installer had 3 hp on the invoice and I could find no info online on the pump and motor so I assumed that was correct. Anyone have a manual (installation/operation/specs) for the SDQP 18-265?

It appears that my sw1 settings are correct. I haven't seen the fault light so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for everyone's input. Very enlightening

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks