Sticks vs. Coils running to second floor

Users who are viewing this thread

RubberDuck

Reaction score
My plumber is planning on using a series of sticks for our main lines going to the second floor from our basement. My question is: Would an uninterrupted 3/4” coil line provide a noticeable increase in flow vs 3/4” sticks (which would require 2 fittings potentially) to span the same distance. I’m worried about the fittings causing a noticeable flow restriction. These lines will service a tub/shower, toilet, bathroom sink, and office sink, all of which have 1/2” pex running to them from the 3/4”.

Thanks for any help and these forums have been great as I try to learn about plumbing.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The effect of the coupling can be expressed as its "equivalent feet". I.e. if the equivalent feet is 5', then (2) 10' sticks with one coupling joining them has the same frictional losses as 25' of pipe with no fittings.

Looking at some info from Uponor, the equivalent feet of a 3/4" PEX coupling is anywhere from 1' to 5', depending on the type of connector. So what type of PEX and what type of connector are going to be used?

Cheers, Wayne

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some plumbers prefer straight sticks to coils because it installs more like copper as its straighter.

I personally prefer the economy of coils, but none of my plumbers use coils.. until lately when our suppliers stopped being able to stock sticks and we could only get coils (not sure if we're still in that phase)

I doubt you could measure the difference at the faucet tho considering most are running at 1.2 - 1.7gpm.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
We use the sticks. It's just easier in about every way. Especially in a house. 20 ft runs are about perfect. A longer run I would think about using a coil but not much reason to for me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks