Sink Draining / Water Pressure / Bathroom Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Johnny

Reaction score
Hello!

Need help with a bathroom sink. It was clogged really bad and I was able to unclog it. Even when unclogged the water still fills up the sink faster than it can drain. The water pressure is very good. The sink seems to be draining well, but it's just too much water for the size of the drain. I thought to throttle the valves, but then I read on Terry Love that in general that's not a good idea. I tried it anyway and it solves my problem, but I don't want to inadvertently cause a new potentially worse problem.

Anyone know the best way to handle this?

Thanks!

Johnny

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The majority of fixture valves are globe pattern meaning they are designed to THROTTLE and so can a ,butter fly valve

Ball ball valves, gate valves are not for throttling they are open fully on or fully off

The only exception is the Globe valves used on a steam radiator as they should never be throttled they have to be fully open or fully closed (When the system is not calling for heat)

Johnny

Reaction score
Hi Sylvan,

Thank you for your reply. Do you know how I can confirm if I have a globe pattern valve? Is it the simple fact that I can throttle it confirmation enough? I have other valves that are either on or off only which must be the ball ball valve you mention.

Thanks again!

Johnny

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The Angle pattern globe valve is a modified version of “T”-Pattern Globe valve with inlet and outlet at right angles. ... Angle valves have the same features of stem, disc and seat ring design as the globe valve. The fundamental difference between the two is that the fluid flow through the angle valve makes a 90° turn.

Globe valves are good for regulating flow, whereas ball valves are better for on/off control without pressure drop. For decades globe valves were considered the industry standard in control valves. They are designed with a stem that moves up and down inside the valve to control flo

https://hardhatengineer.com/globe-valve-types-angle-parts/

https://hardhatengineer.com/different-types-valves-used-piping/

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks