Shower pan install

Users who are viewing this thread

Tex13

Reaction score
I hired a contractor to remodel my shower. He used pt lumber to build a curb, did not add blocks between studs, installed liner, then put up cement board and nailed it to the curb & around edges. When I asked about preslope for the drain, he said that comes next, he will pour preslope on top of liner. I asked about the nails in the liner. His response was the morter & Tile will seal the nail holes. He thinks I'm neurotic, & threaten to quit. Are these issues a big deal?

20170918_223458.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
You're right to be wary- mortar and tile are not water proofing so preslope needs to be under liner and you should never punch anything through the liner but the drain itself.

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Tile and mortar are not waterproof. That's why you have the liner. And no nails should be through it. It's better to catch this before it's done wrong.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The guy doesn't have a clue...stop right now!

The Tile Council of North America publishes an annual guidebook that describes how to build a shower...there are numerous approved methods, and he's broken a bunch of the cardinal rules already...who's to say what will happen afterwards as he tries to finish things off. Guidelines dictate that there be NO fasteners through the liner lower than 2" ABOVE the top of the curb. You CANNOT use cement board on a curb when you have a liner...it just can't be done. The TCNA guidebook is the industry bible. It's a shame that there are so many people that don't have a clue and charge people. Looking good when finished, is only a small part of it...it's what is underneath. This thing will leak and fail quickly.

Plumbing code requires a flood test, how is it supposed to not leak with a bunch of holes in the liner?

Check out www.johnbridge.com for help in building your shower. there are lots of full-time, professional tilers there. Terry is great at the plumbing aspects, if you need that, here.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks