Forgot the plumbers putty on cast iron shower pan drain install

Users who are viewing this thread

tinpanrally

Reaction score
Hi all! This forum's been a great help as I negotiate replacing my tub with a shower after the cast iron drain failed.

I've got a contractor working with me. We had a plumber come out and dig out the old cast iron drain and P-trap following demo. He replaced everything with PVC connected out to the (still cast iron) city wastewater line. I decided I wanted a cast iron shower pan rather than a tile pan or fiberglass/acrylic/composite, so with some hesitation my contractor agreed to go for it. Finally got the thing delivered and today we went to install it where the tub had been.

I chose the Kohlier Salient 60"x30" pan with a right drain, so I didn't have to move the drain anywhere. I also picked up the matching Kohler shower drain assembly in black matte to match the new fixtures.

All went well but when he put the drain on the cast iron shower pan, he neglected the plumber's putty to go between the flange of the strainer body and the top (enameled) side of the cast iron pan. I think we got the washer and gasket in on the correct side, the bottom side screwed in with the nut, and then compressed the rubber gasket/connector around the PVC drain pipe from the enameled side, with the drain cover to go over that.

Is it a serious issue to leave it this way, without plumber's putty between the flange of the strainer body of the drain and the enameled cast iron pan? Could silicone or something else sub in for it between the rubber gasket/connector and the strainer body below the drain cover?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good question. I believe in a shower that the sealant between the pan and the shower drain is the actual seal. Unlike a tub or sink that have overflows, the rubber gasket at the bottom is the seal.

I would pull it and get it sealed properly. It has a rubber gasket that goes around the pipe on the inside of the drain body to seal the pipe which you won't be able to remove, so just lifting it up untill the drain lets go.

1695339964885.png

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I call it serious Im ok with putty or Silicone , Im on the fence as to which is better (generaly I stick to Putty) I might use silicone on fiberglas pans. I just like the shape of the flange around the drain. My theory on the rubber gasket is it does almost nothing but it squishes a little and keeps almost a spring tension on the assembly and might keep the nut tight.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks