Should I redo my shower pan?

Users who are viewing this thread

DrainDilemma

Reaction score
This is a custom shower pan I did. The dry pack is recessed 1.5" into the slab to come up level with the floor for a curbless shower. I have a 7/16" slope to the drain.

The section of slab underneath was previously ripped up to relocate rough plumbing, when I poured this section back, I sloped it towards the 3 piece drain. I did not use any form of pan liner between my cement and dry pack.

I'm having second thoughts about my lack of a proper pan liner between the dry pack and slab, and nothing between the Durock and studs behind it. I'm also having second thoughts about the location of the shower head that will be spraying against the shower door and considering simply doing a drop in 32x60 shower pan.

Should I rip this up and redo it?

Attachments

• IMG_2024-01-29-10-52-27-267(1).jpg
    IMG_2024-01-29-10-52-27-267(1).jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2024-01-29-11-14-49-040(1).jpg
    IMG_2024-01-29-11-14-49-040(1).jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 56

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
We are plumbers mostly here. Speaking from a plumbing background and seeing failures over my 50 years in the business.
Broadly I recommend a clamping type drain and use of a membrane. The backer board should have waterproofing behind the wall in the form of plastic sheeting or at worst, tar paper, which goes over a pan liner.
In your case, the P.T. joint at the floor to wall is a failure point immediately. Differential materials expand and contract and need to be accounted for.
There are also leading mfrs membrane systems: I have no comment.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I only install 4 PSF sheet lead shower pans with 3/4 plywood under them and waterproofing the wood with roofers flashing cement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks