Shower and tub buzzing sound

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnnoAndy

Reaction score
Hi folks, my first post... Thanks for having me!

I recently purchased a new house and both my shower and tub on the top floor are making a strange buzzing sound that comes and goes when water is running. It's only on cold to middle, not on hot.

It's an american standard faucet, and I've replaced the cartridge and the pressure balance spool already. No change.

I made a short video to demonstrate the issue. Listen closely, a little hard to hear at first over the running water.

Any other suggestions?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
How close are the tub and the shower in relation to each other? Is it possible that they share the same cold water supply pipe? Is that likely a branch off the main cold that no other fixture shares?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
How close are the tub and the shower in relation to each other? Is it possible that they share the same cold water supply pipe? Is that likely a branch off the main cold that no other fixture shares?
I think the situation is a tub/shower . not a bath tub and a separate shower as in 2 valves . Sounds normal to me when hot and cold are coming in its louder fiberglass tubs are noisy

JohnnoAndy

Reaction score
Hi again... Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been very busy with day job and haven't had a chance to look at this.

I made some progress today. To clarify, there are two fixtures... #1 is a shower/tub with diverter. #2 is a standalone shower. They're both on my top floor and both have the similar issues.

It seems #2 is now fixed. The stop valves weren't open all the way. I did so, sound has stopped. I was hoping #1 was the same issue given, but the stop valves were open art the way. I found the opposite to be true here... I have partially closed both the hot and the cold... And now the sound has gone. Very feint, but if you weren't looking for it you probably would even notice. The pressure is obviously not as strong, but still fine to shower.

Is it ok to intentionally leave the stop valves partially closed like this? Any better/other ideas? It does appear that this one valve is struggling with the water pressure.

I should also add that we have hard water and I believe the prior owners went without a functioning water softener for a good period of time. There's lots of the white/green build up (calcium?) on and around the valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks