Should a Fernco donut bottom out, or stay flush with top?

Users who are viewing this thread

ShelzMike

Reaction score
Working on a 4" cast iron to 4" PVC junction. I used a wire brush on a drill and got the inside of the CI bell nice and clean, shiny even.

I contacted Fernco with my measurements and have the correct donut according to them. I put the donut in and when it is flush with the top of the CI bell, there is still about 1/2" maybe until the donut is bottomed out. Should it be bottomed out or stay flush. If I were to guess, id bet I won't have a choice and that when i put the PVC in, the acts of getting it in there will bottom the donut out anyway. Just wanted to be sure. Thanks!

fernco-donut-4-inch.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
when i put the PVC in, the acts of getting it in there will bottom the donut out anyway.
When you install, you will lubricate the rubber with a liquid dish soap solution. That may affect how far you can push.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, while there's a standard for the ID of the main body of the pipe, there isn't on the hub, thus, that's why there are lots of choices for the ID of the hub. It will probably move in some when you install the pipe into the donut...don't worry about it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks