Are Fernco hub donuts code in UPC?

Users who are viewing this thread

ARC

Reaction score
Hi. Are Fernco compression donuts code in UPC? It seems like pros use them but I think I've read they are NOT code. Can't find exactly where in the UPC codebook it says one way or another if someone knows. Or is it one of those things pros do even though not code?

I put one in my 4" CI hub on a San Tee that is unfortunately slightly sloped uphill. There is also a "pocket/gap" where wastewater can pool in the hub before it slopes down the San Tee. My PVC pipe is flush with the inside most part of the donut. My CI stack is in really solid shape otherwise. I did read about Black Swan No-Hub Sealant and if it leaks could get some and try that.

I wanted to avoid cutting my stack since it was in good shape. Is it recommended given the donut water pooling situation? I would also like be up to code and I do have access now before I tile walls.

Last, if it is recommended that I cut the stack after all and I use shielded flex couplings, do these need to be accessible or can they be inside the wall?

Thanks again.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
drains need slope not going uphill so that needs addressing .
Good question on the donuts I assumed they are legal never crossed my mind
Shielded bands are legal

fernco-donut-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score

ARC

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. Yes knowing what is an "approved" adapter was definitely my issue being a novice since it's vague. I seriously searched the web to get a clear answer but no luck. I just wanted to be up to snuff. But when I went to the local pro plumbing store and asked they and a plumber I chatted with said it's fine in St Paul and to us Oatey Plastic Seal with the donuts.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Those are Universal Product Codes, not certification numbers for the Uniform Plumbing Code.

I believe the relevant UPC language is 705.10.3, which just says the donut needs to be listed for the particular transition. I don't know if the manufacturers have gotten them listed.

https://up.codes/viewer/california/ca-plumbing-code-2019/chapter/7/sanitary-drainage#705.10.3

Cheers, Wayne

Listed by who Wayne? the manufacture of the donut? the fitting manufacture?
years ago plumbing inspector said that my pipe dope said on the can good for plastic but didn't specifically state ABS so said couldn't use it , followed that advice ever since but with regard to this example would a 3rd party testing lab have to "list" the donut being legal for PVC and castiron or just a statement from Fernco? I try not to worry about this stuff too much

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks