Rough-in toilet shallowest possible way

Users who are viewing this thread

jbeuoy

Reaction score
I'm installing a new bathroom in basement with a lift station. The top of the inlet on the station is about nine inches below the top of the basin. I'm running a drain from the toilet over to it from about ten feet away. So, I have to plumb the toilet that allows it to be correctly vented and still have it above that depth. I had one constellation in mind, but realize now that it would be too low.

Reach4

Reaction score
Kansas uses IPC, and I think IPC allows 1/8 inch per ft (1.25 or more over 10 ft) drop for 3 inch pipe. UPC requires 1/4 inch per ft (2.5 inches ore more), and that probably makes for better flow if you have the room.

If you have a vented lavatory (bathroom sink), and if that drains into the same pipe, then that probably takes care of the venting.

A 4x3 closet bend may well fit, and allows you to use either an inside or outside 4 inch closet flange. But for maximum shallowness, you would use the 3 inch medium elbow that Terry identified.

Last edited:

jbeuoy

Reaction score
Normally a 3" medium 90 with a 4x3 spigot flange works.
Great, I had thought I'd plumb that over to a tee with the vent coming off the top and then having an elbow to route that to the lift station. But that puts me too deep. Is there a way of working the venting a different way?

jbeuoy

Reaction score
Kansas uses IPC, and I think IPC allows 1/8 inch per ft (1.25 or more over 10 ft) drop for 3 inch pipe. UPC requires 1/4 inch per ft (2.5 inches ore more), and that probably makes for better flow if you have the room.

If you have a vented lavatory (bathroom sink), and if that drains into the same pipe, then that probably takes care of the venting.

A 4x3 closet bend may well fit, and allows you to use either an inside or outside 4 inch closet flange. But for maximum shallowness, you would use the 3 inch medium elbow that Terry identified.
If that lav is down from that toilet, is that a so-called wet vent, and is that okay?

Reach4

Reaction score
You would use a 3x3x2 wye. If I read correctly, the wye does not have to have its wet vent line rolled up, but of course you have to keep the required slope or steeper.
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/upc-horizontal-wet-vent-please-help.68221/

If that lav is down from that toilet, is that a so-called wet vent, and is that okay?
I don't know what "down from that toilet" means. Yes, the norm would be to use a wet vent. In IPC, I think your vent above the lavatory santee can be 1.5 inch, but I am thinking UPC says 2 inch. Both want 2 inch below the santee.

jbeuoy

Reaction score
You would use a 3x3x2 wye. If I read correctly, the wye does not have to have its wet vent line rolled up, but of course you have to keep the required slope or steeper.
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/upc-horizontal-wet-vent-please-help.68221/

I don't know what "down from that toilet" means. Yes, the norm would be to use a wet vent. In IPC, I think your vent above the lavatory santee can be 1.5 inch, but I am thinking UPC says 2 inch. Both want 2 inch below the santee.
Thanks so much. That makes sense. I'm not a plumber, so communicating what I mean is probably not very clear.

Reach4

Reaction score
Your sewage pit should have a 2 inch real vent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks