Rotate ice maker stub out 90°

Users who are viewing this thread

signalhill60

Reaction score
I'm doing a kitchen remodel and the existing ice maker stub out needed to be rotated 90 degrees. so I shut off the water, drained the water lines, used a shop vac to vacuum out as much water as possible, heated the joint with a propane torch and after a minute the joint was loose enough to move 90 degrees. Very little if any steam came out of the open end of the pipe. After 15 minutes of cooling I turned the water back on and checked for leaks. No leaks and I pushed on the joint from several angles and no leaks. My question, is the joint solid? I know I described a stable joint but is it recommended to heat and move an old soldered elbow?

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
if you want to be 100 percent, unsweat it, sand, flux, use a new 90 and resolder. no plumber ever does it the way you did it.

signalhill60

Reaction score
Thank you for your quick response. I did not add any flux. Just heat and rotate. It was a little more involved then I let on, the ice maker stub out came off part of a manifold and I was trying to avoid redoing the entire manifold. I just finished up redoing the entire manifold system, I cut everything back to Fresh piping oh, now it looks good as new. funny how I spent more time researching this question then it actually took me to repair the problem. I will sleep better at night thanks again for all of your input.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks