Replacing Shower Pan

Users who are viewing this thread

Erik B

Reaction score
Recently purchased a new home and after using the shower for 2 weeks, we realized the shower pan began to leak. The pan was not set correctly, and had soft spots causing it to bend. The plastic drain finally cracked and water began to make its way underneath the pan.

I am having some difficulty understanding why I cannot remove the first row of tile in my shower, remove the existing shower pan, reinstall a new shower pan (correctly), and reinstall first row of tile? I would be purchasing the same exact pan, so dimensions will be identical.

Also, this is a basement shower.

We have some spare tile, so matching new with existing is not an issue here..

eric-b-01.jpg

eric-b-02.jpg

Last edited:

Erik B

Reaction score
I havent considered that. Looks like that product would work well here. Thank you.

Im not sure how I would have access to place anything under the pan to stiffen?

Also, there is some water currently in between the pan and concrete subfloor. I suppose that would dry out of the course of a few days? No reason to worry about mold growth?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Movement is you biggest problem. Most instruction sheets suggest embedding the pan in mortar to prevent flexing but it can also fix out of level as well.
It looks like the pan is cracked, but if a replacement drain has a surface wide enough, you may get a good seal. The pan will crack again if you don't add support underneath. That's much easier to do just before you set the pan down into piles of mortar. They'll compress and spread out, allowing you to level it at the same time.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Recently purchase new home?
- Contact the builder and have them replace the pan and do it right.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Recently purchase new home?
- Contact the builder and have them replace the pan and do it right.

I totally agree having the plumber or GC contact the plumber and have then replace it

Once a third party touches it all warranties are off

Last one who attempts any repair is now fully responsible

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks