Replacing Crane Floor mount Back Outlet with Gerber MX-21-022

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Anna B, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Anna B

Anna B New Member

Has anyone replaced a Crane Flormont Back Outlet toilet (3930N, specs at: https://pdf4pro.com/download/flormont-round-front-back-outlet-toilet-249f0c.html) with a Gerber MX-21-022 model (specs at: https://xrefs0.plumbersstock.com/Gerber/MX-21-022.pdf)? The rough-in and other dimensions seem similar, but I'm not sure about the footprint. A plumber is coming to do some other work and said they can easily swap out the old one if I get a fitting new one, but I'm not sure if the Gerber MX-21-022 would require the tiles to be re-cut to fit its footprint. There is nothing wrong with the old one except that it is old....
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Anna

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    Most toilets sit on top of the flooring.
    The standard rough for a rear outlet is 4-1/4" high. I don't see a problem yet.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Anna B

Anna B New Member

Terry, thanks so much for the quick response.
    The old one's rough-in is 4-1/8". The replacement's rough-in is 4-1/4". I am assuming that in itself should be OK.
    However, the old one currently sits in a groove cut out from the tiles for its specific footprint. If the new one's footprint is different and it doesn't fit into that groove but has to go on top of the tiles (the tile thickness is ~1/8"), it will be an even greater difference, right? (I'm not sure if I am overthinking this, but I really don't know much about toilet specs, and I have been told I cannot return the replacement if I buy it.)

5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    You have plenty of leeway there. No worries.

6. Anna B

Anna B New Member

That's great to know, thanks again!

7. Peterson

Peterson Member

Here's a video of one of these flushing: