Replacing Crane Floor mount Back Outlet with Gerber MX-21-022

Users who are viewing this thread

Anna B

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced a Crane Flormont Back Outlet toilet (3930N, specs at: https://pdf4pro.com/download/flormont-round-front-back-outlet-toilet-249f0c.html) with a Gerber MX-21-022 model (specs at: https://xrefs0.plumbersstock.com/Gerber/MX-21-022.pdf)? The rough-in and other dimensions seem similar, but I'm not sure about the footprint. A plumber is coming to do some other work and said they can easily swap out the old one if I get a fitting new one, but I'm not sure if the Gerber MX-21-022 would require the tiles to be re-cut to fit its footprint. There is nothing wrong with the old one except that it is old....
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Anna

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most toilets sit on top of the flooring.
The standard rough for a rear outlet is 4-1/4" high. I don't see a problem yet.

gerber-mx-21-022-spec-1.jpg

gerber-maxwell-rear-outlet-install-01.jpg

gerber-maxwell-rear-outlet-install-02.jpg

gerber-maxwell-rear-outlet-install-03.jpg

gerber-maxwell-rear-outlet-install-04.jpg

Last edited:

Anna B

Reaction score
Most toilets sit on top of the flooring.
The standard rough for a rear outlet is 4-1/4" high. I don't see a problem yet.
Terry, thanks so much for the quick response.
The old one's rough-in is 4-1/8". The replacement's rough-in is 4-1/4". I am assuming that in itself should be OK.
However, the old one currently sits in a groove cut out from the tiles for its specific footprint. If the new one's footprint is different and it doesn't fit into that groove but has to go on top of the tiles (the tile thickness is ~1/8"), it will be an even greater difference, right? (I'm not sure if I am overthinking this, but I really don't know much about toilet specs, and I have been told I cannot return the replacement if I buy it.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks