Replace supply lines regularly on toilets and faucets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I have always seen the advice to regularly replace the supply lines for faucets and toilets. I actually had a polybutylene pipe burst overnight and woke up to a inch of water in our slab-home.

I replaced every supply line in my current home when I moved in 6 years ago. I used the metal braided hoses and bought them longer so that I could put a loop in each one. Are these something that I should replace regularly every so many years, or is this more a fear-based myth? I have always told myself that a failure would be more of a spraying fitting than a burst, but I want to get some educated feedback.

I apologize if this question has already been asked in the forum. I used the search function and could not find a similar one being asked. I plan on using some FloodChek hoses with my second-floor washing machine and it got me thinking about these other supply lines.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If by "flood chek" you mean the ones that "automatically turn off" when they burst, then you should know that THEY have been the cause of more flooding than any other lines. I only replace the braided metal ones when I have to replace the faucet or shut off valve.

Reach4

Reaction score
Chromed copper supply lines seem most rugged if you are up to it. I have been told it is not difficult, but my only experience was removing. They were not easy to remove, but I did not know what I was doing.

Braided stainless is over a rubber-like tube. So the reliability would vary based on hidden parts. I have suspected that corrugated stainless or copper would be a nice thing for bathroom supply lines. They are strongly preferred for water heaters.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Chromed copper supply lines seem most rugged if you are up to it. I have been told it is not difficult, but my only experience was removing. They were not easy to remove, but I did not know what I was doing.

Braided stainless is over a rubber-like tube. So the reliability would vary based on hidden parts. I have suspected that corrugated stainless or copper would be a nice thing for bathroom supply lines. They are strongly preferred for water heaters.
To remove them shut water off and tin snip them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks