Remove and Replace Lead toilet bend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Modulerics

Reaction score
1965 Slab house. I'm remodeling my bathroom. The toilet was right next to the tub. Not even a 2 inch gap, I committed to moving the flange. Upon breaking the slab I learned the bend was encased in concrete, is lead and goes to a cast iron hub also encased in concrete. I've gotten back to the hub. I've seen Terry has cut out the lead then drilled all around and got it out. I'm thinking the same thing. Should I assume a standard 4" donut will work or wait till I get it out take measurements and order from Fernco? I know some folks will say go further back and cut the hub but I'm right up again the wall to a newly redone kitchen.

ABS or PVC?

Not really plumbing related but any reason the encase it all in concrete again or just support well w gravel fill w dirt and pack and just pour concrete as thick as the rest of the slab?

Attachments

• 20220926_181108_copy_1612x1209.jpg
    20220926_181108_copy_1612x1209.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 157
  • 20221001_153914_copy_1209x1612.jpg
    20221001_153914_copy_1209x1612.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 163
  • 20221001_153917_copy_1612x1209.jpg
    20221001_153917_copy_1612x1209.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 184

Reach4

Reaction score
Have you reached a cast iron hub yet? A magnet is attracted to cast iron.

While I would think sand topped with concrete, others might have a better idea.

The choice between ABS and PVC is not important. Being in NJ, PVC will be the norm. In WA, ABS is the norm.

Modulerics

Reaction score
Have you reached a cast iron hub yet? A magnet is attracted to cast iron.

While I would think sand topped with concrete, others might have a better idea.

The choice between ABS and PVC is not important. Being in NJ, PVC will be the norm. In WA, ABS is the norm.
Yes, I put a magnet on it earlier. Just tough to see in the picture. The top of the pipe has a lead mess on it but on the right it's there. The picture w the hole in the pipe is before I got to hub, just put as an indication of what bad shape it was in. Some people told me just cut back the lead and fernco on that but in seeing Terry's posts about the donuts I believe that is the correct way.

Need to just get that lead pipe out and rebuild.

Thanks for the input on the piping and cement work. I think I'll go bed of gravel right under tip w sand and then put concrete on top

Modulerics

Reaction score
A cast iron hub will take a rubber donut that will accept ABS or PVC pipe.

replace_lead_bend.jpg

lead-bend-replace-06.jpg

lead-bend-replace-07.jpg
Thanks Terry. The post where you originally posted those as well as your removal method inspired me to go this route.

Any reason not to melt the lead out with a proper p100 respirator and good ventilation vs the mechanical method you posted?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks