ReadyLock - newly installed skirted toilet leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Connie Wiener

Reaction score
I'm a DIYer who installed the Kohler Valiant (homedepot exclusive) skirtless toilet last week. I spoke with Kohler customer service many times for installation clarification due to their horrible pictorial provided, (as well as other issues like extra unnecessary parts in box - just to confuse me; very small wax seal included...)

One of my questions to you is, are you supposed to level the ReadyLock with shims if needed and then level the toilet as well, --or, just install it without worrying as shown in every video for ReadyLock? Nothing about leveling is mentioned (drawn) or shown in any of the videos I have seen. I started out with a pretty level floor, yet the installed ReadyLock was not level. Kohler customer service advised me to level it as needed by loosening/tightening the bolts and shim and that it wouldn't compromise the wax seal. Now the toilet is leaking. Before I remove and replace the seal, I'd like your input, if possible. Help ! And thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20190227_173020436.jpg
    IMG_20190227_173020436.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,121
  • IMG_20190228_172259689.jpg
    IMG_20190228_172259689.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 2,010

Reach4

Reaction score
For this kind of thing (similar to Toto Unifit), there is no problem adding shims, under the toilet edge, with the adapter and toilet in place. You can prevent rocking (normal), or you could level the toilet (not normal, but I did it).

I would't worry about leveling the adapter.

On my Unifit, I packed the underside with hand-molded wax from a ring. I packed the outer part of the closet flange, filling in holes. I wore a nitrile glove. I am not a plumber, and the extra time is not that valuable. If you had a leak, I presume you did not use enough wax. Don't use so much that the pathway can be blocked, but do use plenty otherwise. Wax squishing out of the outside of the big ring is OK.

I used a little silicone grease where the rubber meets the porcelain. Not normal either.

I am presuming the leaking was from around the part of the adapter away from the wall. If there is leaking elsewhere, then I would presume the porcelain is cracked.

When you lift the adapter up, I am hoping that you can tell there was a void in the wax. Maybe take a picture of the wax on the bottom and the wax on the toilet flange just after you pull the adapter off.

Last edited:

theWyatt

Reaction score
I have the same system, Kohler Valiant 45970. I have no issues but cannot tighten the side bolts tight enough to keep the toilet from moving.

I have a new finished floor w/ flange on top of the finished floor. Using wax-less seal. (tried w/ the extension/spacer and with out. When I tried w/ the spacer it was worse than with out the spacer).

Can someone help give me guidance, advice, ideas on how to install this toilet? I am obviously doing something wrong. When I tighten the side bolts they both are tighten 100% and the toilet still moves on the tile floor. It's like I need more threads on the bolt that goes through the side hole to the ready lock system.

Does this make sense?

Reach4

Reaction score
As with the Toto Unifit toilets, this will rely on the caulking to keep the toilet from sliding.

The caulk is indeed structural with some toilet installs. Search for Polyseamseal in the search box above. Do not use silicone.

theWyatt

Reaction score
Thank you for the fast reply. Follow up: Would you apply the Polyseamseal to the bottom of the base then place it to the ground then tighten the bolts down?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks