Kohler Persuade wax ring leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Patterbass

Reaction score
Hello
Problems with my first toilet install.
Put in new tile floor which is very thick- 1/4 mortar with 3/8 tile. I installed the premium Oatey red ring flange extension to start and get me to about floor level

Installed a new Kohler skirted toilet , Persuade no. K-6355
Instructions said to use plain wax Only with no plastic cone- this does not leave many options for the seal.

persuade-adapter-wax.jpg

The normal small ring did not smush much at all so I made an addendum taking a second small plain wax ring and heat welding it together. I did not want to use a tall one with cone or silicon ring due to the Kohler guidelines.

Worked fine no leaks for 3 months until today I just had a small puddle come out from under the bowl

My next best plan is that I bought an XL ring and I can cut out the inner plastic cone
This must be better than my previous combine 2 small rings together

Second I can break Kohler's rule and use a Danco Perfect Seal which is very tall and has a silicon extender if I need it

I have not been able to get the toilet to leak again after the first time.

Help what's my best line of action
Thank you
Pat

k-6355-01.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have installed those with all kinds of wax rings, including the ones with horns. The seal must be made between the flange and the adapter. Also, making sure the bowl is firm to the floor, no rocking allowed.
I sometimes use a thick wax ring or stack two wax rings when needed.

I would not install the flange extensions. Unless those are sealed, it's just a place for water to leak. And how do you seal them? Wax has always worked better for me.
The toilet flange "spacers" are meant to go under the flange to raise the flange, not to be stacked on top.

Patterbass

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice
I think there was a subtle amount of rocking
The floor is unflat due to tile and I shimmed but I think it was imperfect

Took it off to find my flange extender as shown now. I believe I had a plain wax ring under the extension providing sealing

Now that I have to reassemble I'm going to go with the Danco I think

Thanks again hopefully I won't be back with another complaint :)

IMG_20201106_070604.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I think this toilet used an adapter similar to a Toto Unifit. Is there a nut below the toilet porcelain/ceramic that holds the adapter hard down against the wax? If so, I would think wax would work well, and that any rocking by the porcelain would not affect the wax seal.

Instructions said to use plain wax Only with no plastic cone- this does not leave many options for the seal.
I see nothing about this install that would make a plastic cone/horn cause you a problem.

Does the leaking only follow flushing the toilet, or does water appear when you have not used the toilet for a while.

I would try playing a garden hose full blast down the closet flange to make sure the drain accepts that. That is a lower flow than a toilet flush, but it should be easy to try. The water should not back up. If the water backs up, get that drain line cleared.

Patterbass

Reaction score
My first flange is a good 1/2-3/4 below tile surface.

I cannot get leak to reoccur. Plastic flange was pretty dry underneath when I pulled it-- may have been pee spilled down from an operator above! Cannot get any more info from the household on this lol.

Still need to get this back together properly

Will check garden hose heavy flow for pipe flow

If I pull the red extender kit then I would need an ultra tall seal? The kit has its own extender tube that is seating down into the first main flange- it is not as bad as a plain flat 1/4" ring riser like HD sells

Screenshot_20201106-184649.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I looked up those instructions but they're for a PVC closet flange.. not the extender kit.. I would silicone each of the rings too.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just got the opertunity to use that extension system.. I must not have the complete kit because it didn't have that yellow flange part.. Now I see how this all works.. the red rings are there to support the yellow bit which supports the wax. I made mine work another way, but what a Pain it was..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks