Re-using Moen Valve Body

Users who are viewing this thread

ianjt88

Reaction score
I am repiping my house to PEX from polyb. I have a bathtub (tub only) with a valve body that has polyb connections soldered in (see pic). I don't want to get a new valve body, but removing the connections is impossible because of the solder. Any options on reusing this valve body without buying a new one?

moen-old-chateau.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Wow! Just toss that old valve. They don't make good trims for that anymore. You can't use the PolyB connections either .

If you repiping with PEX, you will want to run PEX to the new valve, making sure that the tub spout remains copper if you using a slip fit spout, or if it's a threaded spout, perhaps a drop ear 90 with a nipple pointing out for a spout. Brass and not galvanized.
Galvanized gives you a little bit of rusty water every morning, brass doesn't and a copper slip fit doesn't either.

The old Moen valve you have hasn't been a legal valve in decades. The new ones are either pressure balanced or Thermostatic to prevent temperature swings.

moen-2510.jpg

moen_posi-temp.jpg

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
What Terry said..

But if you want to keep polishing a turd... You could remove the cartridge out and heat up the threaded adapters with a torch and thread them out.. then maybe if you're lucky the solder would be out of the threads you could thread in new.. or perhaps you could get a very small wire brush and while the solder is still wet, wipe it out... a few times cuz it won't be. Then you can try to thread in new adapters for PEX and pressure test that to see if all that work paid off..

ianjt88

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Any suggestions on a replacement valve that doesn't break the bank?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
A new Moen Positemp or Delta Universal are both great valves with many economical trim kits.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks