Wrong Solvent Cement

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr Fixit eh

DIYer
Reaction score
So I accidentally used PVC solvent cement with primer on ABS waste pipe 2". How serious is this - do I need to re-do this work. To add insult to injury, one of the three joints worked out of the hub about 1/3 of the way.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
In the plumbing industry it is highly recommended that you avoid using the wrong adhesive.

Plastic pipe cements creates a chemical bond between the joints. As the cement is applied, it softens the pipe surfaces and as the the cement drys, the two surfaces bond together at the molecular level creating one solid connection. If the pipes and cement are not compatible, the pipe and fittings will not be able to properly fuse together which can lead to a joint failure.

Recently on this forum, I believe it was in Canada, an inspector failed an inspection where there was an ABS and PVC joint with the correct cement used, Oatey® ABS To PVC Transition Green Cement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks