Price Pfister vs. Moen bathroom faucets - gaskets, warranty

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I notice that all major manufacturers except Moen supply gaskets with their bathroom faucets. Moen requires messy use of putty or silicone for faucet and handles, for all models that I looked at (Banbury, Align widespread models, ...) - no gaskets; metal on granite sink. Also, Moen is ca. 50 to 100% higher priced than the major competitors for seemingly comparable models (e.g. Moen Banbury vs. Pfister Courant, Delta Porter widespread models).

My question is whether there is a conceivable engineering rationale (not cost) for using putty vs. EPDM gaskets. I can't believe that one of the top manufacturers (Moen) tries to save additional money on rubber. Even the most basic big box store no-brand faucets have EPDM gaskets, which never leaked in my house. My understanding is that EPDM gaskets are the superior, modern, safe way to install faucets. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Another question is about the warranty support of Price Pfister (or Delta). Are they equally easy to deal with as Moen? Do they ship spare parts for free, free shipping, no (or not many) questions asked, like Moen does? If yes, I am considering returning my Moen faucet and getting a Price Pfister. (On another note, Pfister's push-and-seal popup assembly is also 100% superior for ease of installation, 100% more solid and heavy than Moen, requires no putty, and no leaks. It appears that Moen may have focused more on their profit margins lately, rather than on innovation or on their customers.)

Your input to my questions is much appreciated.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Some puttys can stain granite, so it is safer to provide a gasket.
I like Moen, but would go with Delta if they have a style I like.
I'm not a plumber so my opinion is based on my own limited experiences with both products. I have Moen fixtures and Delta throughout my house.

We'll see what the pros say regarding warranty. I have not had problems with either brand.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Available at any hardware store. Plumbers putty for use on porous stone.

upload_2017-4-25_14-31-5.png

Reaction score
Available at any hardware store. Plumbers putty for use on porous stone.

View attachment 39482

Yes it is available and will likely seal if applied correctly (although some say it has a limited life span, will harden, and/or will leak if anything moves), but I personally find it still a mess especially when re-doing or fixing the installation, and it is a nuisance and will lengthen installation time. I am still curious why Moen tries to cut cost on rubber (maybe $0.25 material?) when most major manufactures provide gaskets. (On an unrelated note, even though they have lifetime warranty, their under sink quick connectors, hoses, and stems of e.g. the Banbury line feel or appear in no way better than similarly priced models of competitors, or even the much cheaper models of the big box house brands.) I am disappointed, and I am thinking of switching to Price Pfister and Delta for most of my appliances in my houses.

Are Price Pfister and Delta warranty supports comparable to Moen? Do they ship free parts with free shipping to the original residential purchaser?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks