Moen Vanity Faucet Pipe Ruptured

Users who are viewing this thread

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
There is a hose assembly between the taps and the spout that used poor quality hose. It should see very little pressure unless the aerator clogs or the supply pressure is excessive. In my case, I am on a well so my pressure is between 40 and 60 PSI and the aerator was not clogged. It was the hot side that ruptured and I suspect that heat was a major factor. I have a habit of leaving the hot-only dribble while I shave to rinse off my razor. After I was done shaving, I turned both taps to full-on and that was when it ruptured. It was a mad scramble to remove everything inside the vanity before it suffered from water damage.

From the picture on Moen's site, it looks like they changed the hose material so it now has 100% braid cover.
https://www.moen.com/products/Moen/Moen_Hose_kit/114299

114299.jpg

Moen is shipping a replacement under warranty which should arrive later today. I'll take pics of the old and the new for comparison. I'm glad I'm not on the hook for the $35.75 price and I can DIY so no additional cost. Unfortunately it is so tight underneath the vanity that I had to disconnect everything and remove the shelf to get at it.

On a side note, I really should put a thermostatic tempering valve on the HWT as the temperature is cranked up so the soaker tub doesn't consume all the available hot water.
https://www.watts.com/resources/references-tools/thermostatic-mixing-valves

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Canada Post dropped the ball on this and are now saying July 2nd for delivery.
So July 2nd came and went and still no delivery. Canada Post stopped predicting when it will be delivered. I'll put the wife onto them first thing Monday morning.

I took a pic of the old hose. No prizes for guessing which was the hot side. What were they thinking, that their choice of material would not melt from the heat?

chrome_2021-07-04_16-59-55.jpg

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The mailman took a week off and there was nobody to do his route so no mail got delivered. He's back to work now and working overtime to catch up. I finally got the part installed and my vanity cabinet put back together.

The new part has a full braid jacket just like it is pictured on their website.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Code, at least in the USA, is a maximum of 120-degrees F, so if yours is much hotter than that, no guarantee that the plastic will survive.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks