Plumbing outbuilding with no crawl space

Users who are viewing this thread

Whipsaw

Reaction score
I have a 12 x 16 outbuilding which I'd like to put a toilet, shower, and sink in. I already have water in the building, but I need waste lines. The building sits on skids and I'm wondering the best way to achieve this. I suppose I could find some big beams and jack it up, but I'd have to disconnect the power and water. Wondering if there's an easier way to do it.

Onokai

Reaction score
Build a step up false floor in the bath area-run waste in that space-easy fix.
Mark

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you planning to put in a septic system, or routing sewage to something existing?

If you don't want to lift the building, I guess you dig under.

Whipsaw

Reaction score
Yes, I have a waste line near the building, I just need to plumb the building and tie into it. The building is on 6x6 skids. I'm just trying to figure the easiest way to run waste. I'll put the toilet in the corner of the building near where the waste line is. I've only got 6 inches of room under the floor joists. I can dig a channel for the pipe, then lay on the ground and reach in to connect the waste line to the flange of the toilet. Or, I can see about renting a couple steel I-beams and lift the whole building but I'd rather not. Would also like to put a sink across the room from the bathroom. I had not been planning on doing this which is why I didn't get it all set before I built it.

Reach4

Reaction score
You are going to put the closet flange in from the top,

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes. You will also want to be concerned about potential freezing, but since you already have water in the building, I guess you have addressed that.

Your sewer should slope 1/4 inch per foot while being mindful of the frost line. If you cannot do that, you may need a septic pit and pump. You may want to provide an outside cleanout so that you don't have to pull the toilet to rod the line. But keeping the line straight should minimize the odds of needing rodding.

Whipsaw

Reaction score
There is no frost line here. But I am more concerned with how to gain access. I have plenty of fall in the waste line, and already have a cleanout.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Water services in the West side of Washington require 24" of cover, and building foundations must be below the frost level.

The toilet could be wall hung, but the shower requires a floor drain. Pulling plywood off the floor may work for you if you need access for a shower.

Reach4

Reaction score
There is no frost line here. But I am more concerned with how to gain access. I have plenty of fall in the waste line, and already have a cleanout.

Shovel or tiny backhoe/excavator would seem to be the devices of choice.

You don't have a 3 inch sewer line from the outbuilding yet, so how can you already have the cleanout? If you have a 2 inch sewer already, maybe a grinder pump that could use the existing smaller line would be worthwhile.

Whipsaw

Reaction score
Shovel or tiny backhoe/excavator would seem to be the devices of choice.

You don't have a 3 inch sewer line from the outbuilding yet, so how can you already have the cleanout? If you have a 2 inch sewer already, maybe a grinder pump that could use the existing smaller line would be worthwhile.

I have a cleanout at the 4" sewer pipe that's already in the ground. I thought that's what you meant.

I guess I should have been more clear with this thread. I have one of two options: Dig, or lift. I am wondering people's opinions on what would be the best course of action given I'd like to put in a toilet, shower, and two sinks. This is just a nice little finished outbuilding that will be fully utilitarian. This isn't an "outhouse."

To be more clear on the construction: It's a 12x16 building with 2x6 flooring 16" on center sitting on three 6x6 skids.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The building drain will need to be buried below grade, so you are either going to have to tunnel under from the outside or cut and dig from the inside. If you have a way to lift the entire structure without harm, you could move it and then set it back after the drains are in place. There is no right answer. Because you will be tying into a potable water system and have a structure without a proper foundation, you should check with the municipal building/plumbing inspector to see what other specific requirements must be met.

Last edited:

Whipsaw

Reaction score
Build a step up false floor in the bath area-run waste in that space-easy fix.
Mark

The more I think about it, the more I think you are right. It will be much easier for me to plumb all the waste lines into that area, and then make one single connection to the 4" waste line outside. It becomes too difficult otherwise.

Whipsaw

Reaction score
I need to draw up a plan. Any suggestions as to the best resources to make sure I am up to code?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks