Kitchen & floor drains, perhaps under cabinets.

Users who are viewing this thread

sethchandler

Reaction score
Hello I’m curious to know the function & cautions of installing a floor drain in the kitchen. Of course I’d add trap primers and such, but wondering if that would be worthwhile idea in a residential space. I already fairly convinced a laundry room and perhaps any room with an ice maker or freezer would be a valuable investment. If this would work out I’d perhaps not put a cabinet bottom in that section just leave the open floor space to drain should some issue arise. Just coming off a repair where a fridge flooded most of a house from a malfunctioning water dispenser. Seems some relief drains would be good to have to keep incidental water leak damages limited.

Anybody have other suggestions of places floor drains are not required but seems to be a reasonable investment. Are there any specific reasons one may not want a floor drain in a space. Most of our building here in south LA is slab on grade with 1 or 2 story above. No significant basements to consider here…

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
We put floor drains in basement utility areas often. As well as commercial kitchens. Without sloping to the drain, it is kind of useless in single family dwellings.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks