Please Advise on Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Troodon

Reaction score
My partner hacked some good holes through some 1/2" poly tubing while trying get rid of some weed roots. Irrigation was installed by previous owners, and they left no map of course, so we didn't know it was there. The leak is indicated in the pictures. It's right after where the pvc coming from the irrigation pump ends in a 3/4" to 1/2" elbow and into a tee fitting, so everything downstream of that is not getting water (the whole front yard). The water just pours out, squirting 3 feet in the air when I ran the system after digging.

Anyway, my question: what connectors, tools, or other supplies do I need to fix this? I already have a roll of 1/2" poly tubing, but I can't tell how many individual components make up the connection between the pvc elbow and the poly tubing, and I don't know how to remove them because I don't know whether the connections are threaded, push-on, compression, etc.). Basically, I don't know what I'm looking at. I tried pulling the tubing out of the tee fitting, but it doesn't come out. My understanding is that I'll have to replace everything from just after the pvc elbow to the poly tubing about 6" on either side of the tee.

This leak is my first education in irrigation systems, and of course it couldn't just happen in the middle of a tubing run.

First picture is just to show the pumps (?), and the other two show the leaks, which are really more like Old Faithful -- every morning at 3:30...

EDIT: There are no markings on the tee fitting. I took the pictures hoping to find some and then look up the part (or parts).

20190827_115853.jpg 20190827_120017 (copy).jpg 20190827_120225.jpg

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Poly is hardly used anymore and the real problem is finding fittings. Yes, the easiest way to cut out the entire tee, all three ends. The PVC would have to cut back past the elbow. Take the spare poly with you to find fittings that would work. It might be best to go to an irrigation supply store. The PVC elbow does have a reducer from what looks like a 3/4". If you do find fittings, besure to get the right adhesive.

Reach4

Reaction score
Poly is hardly used anymore and the real problem is finding fittings. Yes, the easiest way to cut out the entire tee, all three ends. The PVC would have to cut back past the elbow. Take the spare poly with you to find fittings that would work. It might be best to go to an irrigation supply store. The PVC elbow does have a reducer from what looks like a 3/4". If you do find fittings, besure to get the right adhesive.
What is used now -- pvc, funny pipe? I would think for poly you would use barbed fittings and worm gear hose clamps. No?

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
It looks too close to the tee to get a clamp on the poly to clamp down on the pipe with a barb coupling. One end may work if the inside diameter is good for the poly, but the tee end won't work.

browns-tans-dig-drip-irrigation-fittings-cb73-15-64_400_compressed.jpg

Troodon

Reaction score
Thank you. With your help I fixed it. Two of those brown barbed couplers like in the above photo, and some new poly tubing spliced in on both sides and below the tee (which is compression). The pvc elbow reducer below it ended up having a poly compression connector cemented into it, and it all held up fine after testing. I used a thermos of boiled hot water to soften the poly, otherwise it would have been impossible to get in the compression fittings, or over the barbed coupler.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
thanks for the update. In 1964 my father used poly pipe and it was like wrestling with a snake and clamps every where.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks