Pedestal Sink Install

Users who are viewing this thread

CarolinaReiver

Reaction score
Hi - i'm a DIYer. I'm slowly learning how to do things and i'm somewhat handy/capable. I have a pedestal sink that I need to mount. I've already opened the wall behind it so that I can cut the old supply lines off (they haven't been used in almost 10 years and the water has long been disconnected from it).

I don't feel comfortable cutting into the studs and installing a board. I've read about using toggle bolts. I've read about putting a piece of sheet metal against the studs, installing dry wall and then attaching the sink into the sheet metal. I just want the easiest method for me that will secure this to the wall ( I plan on attaching the base to the floor).

I like the idea of sheet metal but I am a total novice and have no clue what thickness I need and what hardware I would have to buy. Please help!!

I will say that I've read several threads on this forum already.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the pedestal is supporting the weight of the lav, then the toggle bolts in the wall prevent it from pulling away from the wall.
It's always nice if there is blocking back there. That's rare though. For that to happen the vent needs to be over to the side. If I know someone is planning on a pedestal, I trap arm over and leave a space for blocking above.

toggle-bolts-2.jpg

Last edited:

Stuff

Reaction score
Post a picture and we might come up with other options.

Without cutting studs is there enough room to fit a support board between them? If so you can tack it in place with diagonal nails/screws or extra blocking behind.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks