Oversize cast iron offset flange in a concrete floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

wendyb

Reaction score
DSCN0067.JPG
DSCN0078.JPG
DSCN0070.JPG
DSCN0078.JPG
DSCN0070.JPG
DSCN0078.JPG
removed the toilet to replace the wax ring. what a stinkin mess! the flange is a offset with a 5 inches interior hole in a concrete floor. looks really expensive to have a plumer come in. I put a reqular wax ring in and instant leak when toilet is flushed. Removed toilet and saw the ring was too small for the flange hole. unable to install drop in hole reducer sleeve because of the offset flange. will try packing in 2-3 wax rings. the cast iron drain pipe looks to be welded to the offset flange. The space it is in is sooooo small, the existing toilet is super4 tiny. I live in Calif and understand there tiny toilets are no longer available in california.
any suggestions? there is no crawl space under the bathroom, its a remodel from about 1960 and is a concrete floor. the bathroom is super tiny, like a broom closet. will post picture tomorrow of the scary rusty looking drain. have water turned off. Update , while trying to remove and replace flange bolts, the flange rails broke off... do they make a offset inside fitting 5 inch flange ? I sure hope I dont have to jackhammer the concrete floor apart to replace this cast iron sewer pipe! almost considering not having a toilet in this bathroom, but that would effect the value of the house. hmmm... the cast iron sewer pipe does have a clean out on the back side of the wall. The wall is an exterior wall and the cast iron pipe is just below the soil outside . maybe I could dig the cast iron pipe out, open the exterior wall, jack hammer out the concrete, and put a new line in? seems extreme. as you probally can tell I have not a lot of plumbing experience. The wall is wooden shingels outside and the inside is drywall. So the cast iron pipe is not super deep into the concrete. Also I poked around the cast iron pipe inside where I removed the toilet and floor tile. It appers the concrete hole is larger than the pipe coming out of it. I dug down about an inch of what appers to be dried wax. Not sure how to proceded. Here are the pictures.. also the flange is really close to the wall and i have included pics of whats on the outside of the wall

Attachments

• DSCN0082.JPG
    DSCN0082.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Before you grab a jack hammer or abandon the toilet, consider this. Not all jobs in any field are DIY friendly. Sometimes is lack of know-how, sometimes is lack of proper tools, and often it's a combination of both. In your case, it appears to be the latter. There is no shame for a DIYer to recognize his/her short comings and call a professional. A plumber can resolve this and won't require a second mortgage to do it. Did I say "Cheap" or "Inexpensive"? No, but it will be done quickly and most importantly, done right. Last thing you want to happen is to put a new toilet in place and find it rocks or leaks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally if you can secure the closet bolts, and set the toilet without rocking, you are good.
It make take two wax rings for sealing.
Molding some wax there may do it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You might need to piece together more than one wax ring to make a continuous ring that fits on top of the larger than normal diameter flange's horizontal surface.

wendyb

Reaction score
what I did today is as
I coundlt fing a 5 incg flange replacment I got a pvc offset flange with a metal rim on it like the one in the pic here, because this fits over a 4 inch pipe the metal ring is 5 inches. I melted the pvc till i got the ring off of it, patched in the floor with cement all around the broken flange, leaving room in the one remaining channel for the flange bolt. tomorrow when the cement is dry,I will try to use the metal ring on top of the broken flange.I got a masonary drill bit and long concrete screws. I am going to pack lots of wax around the old and new flange rings, bolt the new ring on top of the old broken ring. install toilet and see if it leaks when flushed...
if it leaks its jackhammer time!
th (1).jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks