Noise when Toilet is flushed

Users who are viewing this thread

jewalt79

Reaction score
I have a Mansfield with a flush tower. The red o-ring (flush valve seal) that seals the flush tower had worn down causing the lever to become incredibly difficult to flush. I replaced the o-ring but with no instruction set it in the wrong groove on the flush valve body. After I discovered this I adjusted the o-ring to the correct groove. Then I flushed and when the toilet began filling it started making this loud, vibrating, horrible noise. I then replaced the fill valve but the problem remains?

Any ideas? Thank you

jewalt79

Reaction score
No, I have not opened the shutoff from the wall all the way yet. The more I open it the louder it seems to get.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
It just had me wondering...when I put a new toilet in this weekend and was doing the first fill while opening the valve I hit a spot that sounded like you described. Opened the valve all the way and had no more noise.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
No, I have not opened the shutoff from the wall all the way yet. The more I open it the louder it seems to get.

Always have the shutoff valve open all the way.
That is the biggest mistake that rookies make.
Not opening the shutoff valves.

jewalt79

Reaction score
Thanks, I will give that a try. What if the noise continues? Do I let it continue?

Last edited:

jewalt79

Reaction score
It worked! I let the tank fill all the way, turned off the water then turned it back up all the way. Flushed and it worked like a charm.

Thank you!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
By not having the valve fully open, the turbulance can make things noisey. Most shutoff valves are not designed for partial opening like a faucet is, and they should generally be fully on or fully off.

miracj

Reaction score
I'm glad you solved your problem, but I'll relate a similar sounding noise problem and solution in case it helps others.

I had a relatively new house, and the bathroom that was seldom used had something that sounded like water hammer or an interruption in the flow of water to the toilet. I'm not sure why I did this at the time (and it was nothing I would have been logically thinking to do - except possibly the source of the sound or vibration maybe), but I disconnected the fill hose to the toilet. The toilet Fill pipe had some type of ball at the end of the pipe that connected to the shutoff knob. That ball had 3 slots through it for the water to pass to the toilet. As it turns out, there were pieces of solder in there that were clogging those 3 slots. When the water flowed, they clogged the holes, releasing the pressure, then fell back down, some more water flowed, and the process repeated till the toilet tank was filled. Removing the solder pieces solved the problem.

Come to think of it, I believe my kitchen faucet had a bad flow due to solder pieces in the aerator as well in those early years of the house.

So the basic rule, I guess, is to clean out your pipes where you can for construction junk. I know the water (at least now, and probably then as well) is pretty well-controlled municipal water (MWRA-The MWRA recently completed a new aqueduct and various water processing facilities on time and on budget, unlike our "Boston Big Dig"), so it is not water chemistry dissolving the solder joints.

Hope this helps someone.

Regards,

Ira

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks