New toilet search for very tall bowl.

Users who are viewing this thread

JMac

Reaction score
My mom wants their toilet replaced. It is currently a 3.5 gpf standard height round bowl builder special (not that any of this is applicable to my question).
Somewhere or other, she swears that there is a toilet that is higher than 16-17" bowl height and that is what she wants. I had replaced the builder special in their master bath a couple of years ago with a 'comfort height' toilet. Since then, my dad has had many knee surgeries, and they have one of those handicap seat risers on this toilet which puts the seat at just over 20" which is where she wants the seat to be at on the new toilet so that she can get rid of that raiser.
Does such a beast exist especially without paying a small fortune? Or as a second approach, does anybody make a decent spacer that is mounted between the floor and base of the toilet (yes, I saw something like this, but didnt know if it was commercially available). Any other ideas?

thank you yet again for your help...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Comfort and Universal height = 16-1/8"
TOTO has an ADA "L" which is 16-1/2"
We used to see some old bowls that were taller, but I don't think anybody makes them anymore. There is a lift that goes below a bowl that is sold. I've never installed one. That is an option though.

k-25224-tall-terrylove-01.jpg

Updated 2021
Kohler makes a 19" high bowl now. Here is a replacement I did.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Does such a beast exist especially without paying a small fortune? Or as a second approach, does anybody make a decent spacer that is mounted between the floor and base of the toilet (yes, I saw something like this, but didnt know if it was commercially available).
Try searching for "toilet riser" rather than "spacer".

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not a pro, but I know of no toilet that is taller that an ADA 17". Not saying there isn't one, but to my knowledge, it has never been mentioned on this forum. It might be of interest to note that in the Warm Springs, GA Little White House, FDR had a toilet that was raised quite high with what appears to be marble blocks. So it is very possible something like that could be devised, but it would have to be built and the plumbing altered. Cost? Have no idea, but it would mostly be the imagination of the installer and the cost of raising the flange. A few years ago, I had a hip replaced and used one of the handicapped risers. It worked very well, but I was happy to be rid of it so I know where your dad is coming from.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It is a moderate investment, but you could install a wall-hung toilet and have it put at any height you want. Hassle is, it would also be moderately expensive to move it down if you don't like it or want to sell the house at some time.

Reach4

Reaction score
"a small fortune"? Maybe for your average lotto player.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks