New Toilet Advice for large stools

Users who are viewing this thread

Hoss411

Reaction score
Hello all. First let me say this forum and web site has been very helpful as I've done my research, so thanks Terry!

Now to my question. We built my current home in 2012 and it still has the builder grade 1.6 GPF Proflo toilets. My wife... ahem... lays out some nice long and sturdy logs and one toilet in particular is constantly getting plugged. It's to the point that she keeps something by the toilet to break up the logs before every flush. This weekend she said she would rather have a new toilet than anything else for Christmas. Ok, that's serious - time to act.

Now since one toilet is more problematic than the others, I've always thought it was because of an offset toilet flange that was installed. When the house was built, the waste pipe came up right in the middle of where the back wall was supposed to be. So they shifted the wall a little and also put in this offset flange, which I assumed narrowed the opening and perhaps leads to some of this problem... But perhaps not... Maybe it's just a bad toilet.

To that end, I've started looking for a replacement. I believe code in Texas has changed, and I now have to use a 1.28 gpf toilet, rather than the 1.6 I currently have. That concerns me a slight bit, but it seems the general consensus is it shouldn't be a problem. I was initially lead to the Champion 4 by my local plumber, but after reading all the reports on cracked tanks and bowls, I don't want anything to do with American Standard. I'm now leaning towards the Drake II, but I also spotted a new Kohler Cimarron with 'Revolution 360' bowl that looks like a knock-off of the Drake. I'm considering that one primarily because of the price difference. But one question I had was the MaP rating of the Drake II which is 800, whereas everything else I've looked at is 1000+... Is that difference worth worrying about?

Appreciate any feedback.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
When you do decide on a toilet brand, order the bowl with a 10" rough in (12" standard). It might eliminate the off set flange. I have two TOTO's each are 1.28 gal and each work quite well. Models CST 743 & 744 There are occasional skid marks left behind and I never get poor flushes but I'm not sure how it can handle logs.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For larger than normal stools, the Caroma from Australia. It's a 1.28 dual flush and if the button is held down, the entire tank can be drained.

The difference between 800 and 1000 doesn't even matter. 500 is considered very good. Those tests are with very slim 3/4" x 4" plastic wrapped missiles. They don't test for large stools.

The trapway on the Kohler is not as good as the Drake II, however, the trapways are also about 2" and large stools don't work for that.
The average stool is 3/4" x 4"

NoviceLurker

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. Need a toilet with a larger trapway due to bigger, firmer poops, but there's nowhere within driving distance to get a Caroma toilet. What's the best option at the big box stores?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm in the same boat. Need a toilet with a larger trapway due to bigger, firmer poops, but there's nowhere within driving distance to get a Caroma toilet. What's the best option at the big box stores?

Kohler Highline K-3493 pressure assist with a Flushmate. They may need to bring it in. Not their gravity toilet though.
For larger than normal stools, either the Caroma or the Flushmate Kohler Highline.

NoviceLurker

Reaction score
Kohler Highline K-3493 pressure assist with a Flushmate. They may need to bring it in. Not their gravity toilet though.
For larger than normal stools, either the Caroma or the Flushmate Kohler Highline.

Thanks for the reply, Terry! Looking at the trapway of the Kohler, it's the standard 2.125". Do you know of any online retailers for Caroma? Also, needs to be comfort height because the people using it are elder.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
sydney_305_el_1.jpg

Caroma Sydney Smart 305

caroma-sydney-smart-305-spec.jpg

I don't know who is selling these nation wide. I've been selling in the Seattle area and Whistler Mountain has them in Canada.

Hoss411

Reaction score
Hmm... No good local options for me either, even though I'm in Dallas. The K-3493 appears to only be 1.6 GPF, and I can only buy 1.28 in Texas. On the Kohler website, switching to 1.28 changes the model to K-76301, and instead of a Sloan Flushmate, its a "Class 5", which sounds like a marketing gimmick for the AquaPiston... So I'd either need to have that 3493 shipped to an Oklahoma Home Depot 3 hours away and pick it up, or drive 3 hours south and get the Caroma... Kind of a pain either way... But at least it's an answer to the problem. Sounds like between the two options, heading south for the Caroma would be the recommendation.

Since this was never a problem until I bought this house... That makes me think a 'normal' toilet may still work, if it's a good one. I'm still debating on that Drake II, and if it didn't work, I could always move it to another bathroom...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Class 5 is a gravity toilet. For 99% that would work fine. If you have been okay with other toilets, then the Class 5 Kohler would be enough and the TOTO also.

When I say pressure assist or Caroma for large stools, I mean really large. Medication is sometimes the issue with that.
Sometimes if it's just one toilet that's giving you grief, it can turn out to be something stuck in the trapway. I sometimes find things like Q-Tips, pens, shampoo bottles , small coins, army men, small cars.

Hoss411

Reaction score
Thanks, Terry. I was under the impression that the Class 5 was just an old marketing name for the AquaPiston, since it looks like it uses a canister, although it does look like the flush valve is 3.25" I assume that's larger than the rest of the Kohler line? Seems the Drake II is also 3"... I get the impression that's the secret sauce in addition to the size/design of the trapway. I think I'm going to try a gravity first and cross my fingers. If that doesn't work, I'll head south and get that Caroma.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks